Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Formula for allowable wall thickness

1. Jul 26, 2007 #1
    I need to determine the minimum wall thickness for 1018 CRS for a knife blade. I know the moment, max deflection, greatest safe load, yield strength, MOE, length, density, current wall thickness, etc.

However, I can not find a general formula connecting yield strength to wall thickness, which is, I think, what I need. Any help in finding a formula so that I can determine the minimum wall thickness with the info. above is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

When you say "wall thickness" that implies a hollow shelled piece like a pipe for example. Since you are talking about a knife, I would assume this is not the case.

What kind of loading scenario are you looking at?
  4. Jul 27, 2007 #3
    its actually pretty much a thick-walled pipe like you first thought. It only has a series of blades in the middle of the piece. the greatest safe load, as is, is around 2700 pounds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?