Formula for change in speed of a ball considering rolling resistance?

In summary, the conversation discusses the development of a physics-based 2D platform game using the Box2D physics engine. The main issue is the lack of rolling friction support for the ball character, resulting in it never stopping when horizontal force is applied. The solution proposed is to handle rolling resistance using actual physics equations, with available information including mass, size, force, speed, and coefficient of rolling friction. The suggestion is to treat rolling resistance as a force acting in the opposite direction to the ball's movement and make it proportional to the normal force between the ball and the ground.
heisenbergman
Hi PF.

I'm currently developing a 2D platform game that is significantly physics-based using the Box2D physics engine.

However, one of my main problems right now is that the main "character" of my game is a ball and unfortunately, Box2D does not support rolling friction. The result is that whenever I apply horizontal force to the ball and it starts moving on a flat surface... it never stops.

There are some quick ways I could fix this given Box2D's current features (e.g. - damping)... but those solutions don't seem realistic enough in certain scenarios. What I'm
planning to do is to handle rolling resistance in my code using actual physics equations and hopefully that yields more realistic results.

So, what I wanted to ask was that with all of the following given information, how do I compute for the change in speed over time of a rolling ball due to rolling friction?

Available information:

- mass of ball
- size of ball
- force being applied on the ball
- speed of the ball
- coefficient of rolling friction (I can probably set this to a constant value inside the program)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Treat it the same way you treat other forces being applied to the ball...eg Treat it as a force acting in the oposite direction to that in which the ball is moving.

Make the force proportional to the normal force between the ball and the ground. See..

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/rolling-friction-resistance-d_1303.html

Bear in mind that if the ball is on a slope the normal force is not vertical but is orthogonal to the slope. So you can't simply make it proportional to the weight of the ball.

1. What is the formula for calculating the change in speed of a ball due to rolling resistance?

The formula for calculating the change in speed of a ball due to rolling resistance is given by:
Δv = (FR * t) / m
where Δv is the change in speed, FR is the rolling resistance force, t is the time interval, and m is the mass of the ball.

2. How is rolling resistance force calculated?

Rolling resistance force is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of rolling resistance (CR) by the normal force (FN) acting on the ball. The formula is given by:
FR = CR * FN

3. What factors affect the rolling resistance of a ball?

The rolling resistance of a ball is affected by several factors, including the type of surface the ball is rolling on, the material and design of the ball, the weight and shape of the ball, and the speed at which the ball is rolling.

4. Can the formula for change in speed of a ball due to rolling resistance be used for all types of balls?

Yes, the formula can be used for all types of balls as long as the rolling resistance force is known. However, the value of the coefficient of rolling resistance may vary depending on the type of ball and the surface it is rolling on.

5. How does rolling resistance affect the overall motion of a ball?

Rolling resistance has a significant impact on the overall motion of a ball. It can cause the ball to slow down and eventually come to a stop, or it can affect the trajectory and direction of the ball. In some cases, the rolling resistance force may also cause the ball to change its rotational motion.