Formula for finding logarithms possible?

In summary: This algorithm uses a sequence of rotations and additions to compute the value of the function. The only operations needed are addition, subtraction and bit shifts. The algorithm can be implemented in hardware and is very fast.In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a formula for logarithms of any base. It is mentioned that such a formula exists and can be used with any base, including e. The conversation also explores different methods for calculating logarithms without a calculator, such as using tables, slide rules, or iterative processes like Newton-Raphson. However, it is noted that the most practical method is to use a calculator, which can estimate values using algorithms like Cordic.
Thymo
Is it possible to make a formula for logarithms of any base?

logb(a)=x

I want to find x through some formula. I've seen that you can use a series for e as the base, is that the only base that can be solved for?

Is there any work being done to accomplish this, or, maybe it has been proven impossible? In that case, how was it proven impossible?

Sorry if this is a noobish question... In my defence, a noob can't recognize a noobish question...

Thanks in advance for any answers.
~ Thymo

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sure it's possible. If you know one base, you know all bases.

The equation you are looking for, is: [tex]\log_k x=\frac{\log_n x}{\log_n k}[/tex] where k and n can be any positive number above 1. (Do you see why this formula works?)

So if you use e as your end base, you have a fraction bewteen two logarithms which equals to x.

Last edited:
I don't suppose you're looking for the change of base formula, used when a calculator only has a log10( ) key:

logb(a) = log10(a)/log10(b)

Actually you don't have to use base 10; anything, including e, is workable. (Of course, you can't use 1, 0, negative numbers, etc.)

If this looks new I think I can derive it, free of charge.

Everyone is a rehabilitated noob.

But this doesn't really help me do logs without a calculator does it? ... :confused:

Thymo said:
But this doesn't really help me do logs without a calculator does it? ... :confused:

If you want to do it by hand you should use a table/slide rule. Failing those you're going to have to use Newton's method or something similar.

Thymo said:
Is there any work being done to accomplish this, or, maybe it has been proven impossible? In that case, how was it proven impossible?

The logarithm is a transcendental function. The only way to reduce it to something like a polynomial with rational coefficients is through infinite series like Taylor's or iterative processes like Newton-Raphson. However, practical applications use either logarithmic tables/slide rules or calculating machines.

slider142 said:
The logarithm is a transcendental function. The only way to reduce it to something like a polynomial with rational coefficients is through infinite series like Taylor's or iterative processes like Newton-Raphson. However, practical applications use either logarithmic tables/slide rules or calculating machines.

:grumpy:

So it's possible to use either a Taylor Series or "Newton-Raphson"-method(??). There EXISTS a formula that makes it possible, but impractical? Does it EXIST? Any LINKS or EXPLENATIONS? :blushing:

Thanks! It seems as if I have a lot to work with... At least it's something... ;)

Thymo said:
There EXISTS a formula that makes it possible, but impractical?

You already know it's possible, if you accept that a calculator can do it. You could simply make a circuit diagram of the calculator and trace through its operation when given the appropriate set of keystrokes. That's far less practical, but possible.

CRGreathouse said:
You already know it's possible, if you accept that a calculator can do it. You could simply make a circuit diagram of the calculator and trace through its operation when given the appropriate set of keystrokes. That's far less practical, but possible.

That might not necessarily mean a formula exists. The calculator could just be estimating values for the exponential and then by much trial and error, give a 10 decimal value display :tongue2:

What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is a mathematical function that represents the power to which a fixed number, called the base, must be raised to produce a given number.

What is the formula for finding logarithms?

The formula for finding logarithms is logb(x) = y, where b is the base, x is the given number, and y is the power to which the base must be raised to produce the given number.

What is the purpose of finding logarithms?

Finding logarithms is useful for solving equations involving exponential functions, converting between different number systems, and analyzing data with large ranges of values.

What are the common bases used in logarithms?

The most common bases used in logarithms are 10 (common logarithm), e (natural logarithm), and 2 (binary logarithm). However, any positive real number can be used as the base for a logarithm.

What are the properties of logarithms?

The properties of logarithms include the product rule, quotient rule, power rule, change of base rule, and the inverse relationship with exponential functions.