Logarithmic Series Expansion Using Taylor's/McLaurin's

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Taylor's/McLaurin's formula for series expansions and how to expand logarithmic functions when numbers are used instead of "x". The conversation also touches on proving that ln(2) is equivalent to the sum of a series. Two methods are presented for this proof, one using the general form of a Taylor series and the other using the definition of equality of functions.
smoothman
Hi there guys. My first post here. I heard this forum was really helpful so I've signed up lol.I'm trying to get to grips with using Taylor's/McLaurin's formula for series expansions...My main problem lies with expansions of Logarithmic functions..

I want to work out how to expand Logs when numbers are used instead of "x".
for example i want to expand ln 2 instead of ln x
or ln 12 instead of ln (1 + x). i can expand the function when there is an x involved inside the ln function.. but if its just a number such as (ln 2) then for some reason my expansion doesn't seem to work...

for example i can work out ln (1 + x) using mclaurins:

f(x) = ln (1 + x)
[tex]f'(x) = 1/(1+x) [/tex]
[tex]f''(x) = -1/(1+x)^2 [/tex]
[tex]f'''(x) = 2/[(1+x)^3[/tex]

so now we plug that into mclaurins we have:
f(0) = ln 1 = 0
[tex] f'(0)x = \frac{1}{1+0}x = x[/tex]
[tex] \frac{f''(0)}{2!}x^2 = \frac{-1}{2!(1+0)^2}x^2 = -\frac{x^2}{2}[/tex]
[tex] \frac{f'''(0)}{3!}x^3 = \frac{2}{3!(1+0)^3}x^3 = \frac{x^3}{3}[/tex]

so we deduce that
[tex] ln (1 + x) = x -\frac{x^2}{2} + \frac{x^3}{3} - \frac{x^4}{4}...[/tex]so I am fine with expanding logs that have an x involved...

NOW HERES THE REAL PROBLEM
how would i prove something like: ln 2 (which has no x involved in the ln function)..

ln 2 = 1 - 1/2 + 1/3 - ... = [tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n}[/tex]

so far i can work out ..

f(x) = ln 2
f'(x) = 1/2
f''(x) = 0...

so i plug it into mclaurins i get:

i can neglect f(0) since the sum is from 1 to infinity..
[tex] f'(0)x = \frac{1}{2}x = \frac{1}{2}x[/tex]
[tex] \frac{f''(0)}{2!}x^2 = \frac{0}{2!}x^2 = 0[/tex]
as you can see here I am immediately going wrong since the first term should just have been 1, then -1/2 ... as shown above on the BLUE text.

please guide me on here. and how do you acutally deduce that the terms of ln 2 is equivalent to
[tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n}[/tex]

thnk you very much guys =)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
So the general form for a taylor series expanded at a point a is:
[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{f^{(n)}(a)}{n!}(x-a)^n[/tex].
Since log(0) does not exist, choose a=1 and then expand log to get:
[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{f^{(n)}(a)}{n!}(x-a)^n=log(1)+(x-1)-\frac{(x-1)^2}{2}+\frac{(x-1)^3}{3}-\cdots +\cdots[/tex]
and then you plug in 2 for x (since you want log(2)) to get:
[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n}[/tex]

Last edited:
Okay, you got [tex] ln (1 + x) = x -\frac{x^2}{2} + \frac{x^3}{3} - \frac{x^4}{4}...[/tex] and you want to evaluate [tex] ln(2) [/tex]. Therefore, equate the arguments of the logarithms, i.e., [tex] (1+x)=2 [/tex] to get [tex] x=1 [/tex], substitute that into the series.

thnx guys.. i totally understand both your methods :)

just a quick question about : [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n}[/tex]

is there a proof or a way to actually prove the expanded terms of ln 2 are the same as the above sum... or do you just visually deduce that?

oh and by the way. would bel's method be considered as a proof for ln2 = [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n}[/tex]

Both methods show that log(2) equals your series by definition of the Taylor Series, I suppose.

Yes there is a way to prove that the Series are identical.

The Taylor Series for ln(1+x) = [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^{n+1} \frac{x^n}{n}, 0<x<1[/tex] as you have already pointed out. Now let x =1 on both sides. Its exactly what you want.

Is this correct?

[tex]\ln{x} = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(x-1)^n}{x^n \cdot n} \ , \ \forall \ x > 0 \ , \ x \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]

Last edited:
?? Are you sure about that xn in the numerator?

The denominator you mean? I don't know, I just used some integration by parts. It does work for many x-values, it's just that when x < 0.5 it doesn't work. I was hoping some of you could give me a clue.

Last edited:
The difficulty, Jarle, is that you did not post the original post in this thread and your post does not seem to have anything to do with it.

If you have a separate question yourself, please post it as a new thread.

Ok, sorry...

you know [tex] ln (1 + x) = x -\frac{x^2}{2} + \frac{x^3}{3} - \frac{x^4}{4}...[/tex]

Ask your self what it means for two functions to be the equal?

proving ln(2)=[tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n}[/tex]

should follow

What is Taylor's/McLaurin's series expansion?

Taylor's/McLaurin's series expansion is a mathematical method used to approximate a function using a polynomial. It involves using the derivatives of the function at a specific point to find the coefficients of the polynomial.

Why is logarithmic series expansion useful?

Logarithmic series expansion is useful because it allows us to approximate logarithmic functions, which are commonly used in mathematical and scientific applications. It also allows us to evaluate these functions at values that may not be easily calculable using traditional methods.

What is the difference between Taylor's and McLaurin's series expansion?

The main difference between Taylor's and McLaurin's series expansion is the point at which the derivatives are evaluated to find the coefficients of the polynomial. In Taylor's series, the derivatives are evaluated at a specific point, while in McLaurin's series, they are evaluated at 0.

How do you calculate the coefficients in a logarithmic series expansion?

To calculate the coefficients in a logarithmic series expansion, you need to take the derivatives of the logarithmic function at the chosen point and substitute them into the formula for the coefficients. The formula is: an = (f(n)(c)) / n!, where f(n)(c) is the nth derivative of the function evaluated at the point c.

What are the applications of logarithmic series expansion?

Logarithmic series expansion has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is commonly used to approximate complex functions, evaluate integrals, and solve differential equations. It is also used in computer science and data analysis to model and analyze data.