Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Fortran] Quick question about complex exponentials

1. Jun 11, 2015 #1

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey, so I just have a quick question. I am trying to set a complex variable (in an array) as ##e^{i\alpha_1}## and the line I used in my code looks like this:

Code (Text):

hmajphasemix(2,2)=(cos(alpha1),sin(alpha1))

But the compiler is telling me that it "expects a right parenthesis" at this line. I'm kind of confused cus I'm counting the right number of parenthesis. Is this the correct way to set this variable or have I messed something up?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2015 #2
    Only literal constants can be assigned that way:
    Code (Text):

cnumber = (1.2, 2.3)

When using variables, as you are doing, then you need:
    Code (Text):

hmajphasemix(2,2) = cmplx(cos(alpha1),sin(alpha1))

4. Jun 11, 2015 #3

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, so I can only use (X,Y) when X and Y are just numbers, but if X and Y are some functions of some variable then I need to use cmplx(X,Y) is that right?

5. Jun 11, 2015 #4
    Yeap

6. Jun 11, 2015 #5
    Not even functions, even if they just variables... Without cmplx they need to be literal contacts

7. Jun 11, 2015 #6
    Contacts->constants

8. Jun 11, 2015 #7

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, thanks! What if X and Y are parameters? Would the simpler one work then?

9. Jun 12, 2015 #8
    Don't think so....anyway, you can do your own testing now that you know what's going on.

10. Jun 12, 2015 #9

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This^

11. Jun 12, 2015 #10

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Alrighty. Thanks again. :)

12. Jun 17, 2015 #11
    One question: why would you ever still program in fortran lol?

13. Jun 17, 2015 #12

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Apparently there are good reasons to do so. There is a ton of existing Fortran code for scientific and engineering applications. Also, Fortran code lends itself more easily to highly parallelized applications than do C and C++ programs, or so I understand. One of the drawbacks in C/C++ code is that data can be accessed indirectly (via pointers), which can be problematic where a block of data has to be accessed by multiple threads. The relatively new restrict keyword in C (C99) is an effort to restrict the access to data by only a single pointer.

14. Jun 17, 2015 #13

meBigGuy

Gold Member

The last time I programmed in FORTRAN (an FM multipath simulation) it was because of the ease of working with complex numbers.
    (and I happened to have a graphing package)
    I'd probably do it in matlab now and it would take forever to run.

Maybe there are some good complex math packages for C or C++ now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook