[Fortran] subroutine needs fixing

In summary, The person is trying to use a subroutine they found online, but is not experienced in programming and needs to know how they can check for errors or debug the code. They have attached the code for review and are asking for help with the syntax error messages. The source code has an include statement that requires a file named "vaba_param.inc" and the attached file is not meant to be compiled on its own, but rather used as a subroutine in a larger program.
khalchris
I am trying to use this subroutine which I found online in my model but I am not experienced in programming and I need to know how can I check for errors or debug the code and try to find the mistakes or syntax errors , I have attached the code for your review

Thank you

Attachments

• New Word 2007 Document.docx
    39.1 KB · Views: 737
Technology news on Phys.org
It would help if you tell us the syntax error messages that you got, at least the first few of them.

I am always very hesitant to answer requests like this because I fear it will turn out into a never ending chain of help requests...you cannot be not-experience and do debugging, error checking and programming...you need to put the time to know what you are doing; otherwise, you will simply by the middle man between the program and the forum.

All I am going to say for now is that the source that you attached has an include statement which expects to find a file named "vaba_param.inc" ...so, you need to get a hold of that file, too, before you can compile the program.

Also, the file that you have attached is not meant to be compiled in a standalone fashion, nor will produce an executable program...you are supposed to put together your own main program where you assemble your problem and THEN call the subroutine in this file...

Related to [Fortran] subroutine needs fixing

What is a subroutine in Fortran?

A subroutine in Fortran is a block of code that performs a specific task and can be called multiple times within a larger program. It allows for code reuse and organization within a program.

What are some common errors that can occur in Fortran subroutines?

Some common errors in Fortran subroutines include syntax errors, logical errors, and runtime errors. These can occur due to typos, incorrect use of variables or functions, or issues with memory allocation.

How can I debug a Fortran subroutine?

To debug a Fortran subroutine, you can use a debugger tool or add print statements to your code to track the flow of execution and check the values of variables. You can also use error handling techniques such as TRY-CATCH blocks to handle and identify errors.

What is the purpose of passing arguments to a Fortran subroutine?

Passing arguments to a Fortran subroutine allows for the transfer of data or information between the main program and the subroutine. This allows the subroutine to perform its task using specific input values and return results to the main program.

How can I ensure that my Fortran subroutine is efficient and optimized?

To ensure efficiency and optimization in a Fortran subroutine, you can use techniques such as avoiding unnecessary computations, using efficient data structures, and optimizing memory usage. You can also use built-in compiler optimization flags to improve performance.