1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier coefficient calculations

1. Feb 2, 2012 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I've been following closely a book on PDE's working through lots of steps but here I'm stuck.
    Basically I have the relation [itex]f(x)= \sum _{n=1}^\infty F_n \sin \left ( \frac{n\pi x }{L} \right )[/itex]. I want to calculate the Fourier coefficients [itex]F_n[/itex].
    I look at the definition in the same book and I see that if [itex]f(x)= \sum _{n=1}^\infty c_n g_n(x)[/itex] then [itex]c_n=\frac{1}{||g_n||^2} \int _a ^b f(x)g_n (x)dx[/itex].
    Since I'm solving the 1 dimensional wave equation between [itex]x=0[/itex] and [itex]x=L[/itex], the limits of the integral are in my case [itex]0[/itex] and [itex]L[/itex].
    I get that [itex]F_n =\frac{1}{|| \sin \left ( \frac{n\pi x }{L} \right )||^2} \int _0^L f(x) \sin \left ( \frac{n\pi x }{L} \right ) dx[/itex]. I don't really know how to calculate the modulus squared of the denominator. When I look in the book it says that [itex]F_n=\frac{2}{L} \int _0^L f(x) \sin \left ( \frac{n\pi x }{L} \right ) dx[/itex]. I've absolutely no idea how he did this calculation.

2. Relevant equations
    I don't know if there are any other than the one I posted.

3. The attempt at a solutionOnly thoughts so far...
    Any clarification is welcome.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the definition of the modulus squared of a function?

4. Feb 2, 2012 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ok thank you, I just found out the result... I didn't know to tell the truth, now I know. Problem solved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook