1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Series - proving a sum

1. Jun 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]f(x)=x[/itex] on [itex] [-\pi,\pi) [/itex] and peridically extended. Compute the fourier series and hence show:

[itex] \sum_{n \geq 1,nodd} \frac{1}{n^2} = \frac{\pi^2}{8} [/itex] and [itex] \sum_{n \geq 1} \frac{1}{n^2} = \frac{\pi^2}{6} [/itex]

2. Relevant equations

Parseval's equality

3. The attempt at a solution
    I computed the fourier series to be [itex] -\sum_{n=1,nodd} \frac{4}{n^2 \pi} e^{inx}+\frac{\pi}{2} [/itex] (even terms [itex]\hat{f}(n)=0 [/itex]) and proved the first sum (letting x=0).
    How would I compute the second part? how do i get the whole sum from this? I tried to slipt the sum into even and odd parts, but i dont know how to compute the even sum when I dont have any terms for the even sum! thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

You can't. If, in fact, all terms with even indices are 0, then "[itex]\sum_{n\ge 1, n odd}[/itex]" and [itex]\sum_{n\ge 1}[/itex] must be the same!
  4. Jun 16, 2010 #3
    Ok, so how would I use what I have to prove the second sum? That's assuming that fourier series is right - I think it is, because the first sum works out. On a related note, how would I go about proving that [itex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(2n+1)^4} = \frac{\pi^4}{96}[/itex]? I have started by saying that this is equivalent to the sum [itex] \sum_{n \geq 1, n odd} \frac{1}{n^4} [/itex]. I use a similar method as before and consider the function [itex] f(x) = |x^3| [/itex] on [itex] [-\pi, \pi) [/itex] but I dont seem to get the sum I require in the end...I get the sum of even numbers instead!
  5. Jun 16, 2010 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I don't get the same Fourier series for f(x)=x that you do.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook