1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Square Pulse Train Fourier Series help?

1. Sep 3, 2013 #1
    Square Pulse Train Fourier Series help??

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    problem+directions below:
    33jjyn8.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    ω=2[itex]\pi[/itex]f
    β=[itex]\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since the problem asks to make all time-dependent sinusoidal functions deal with x-direction, i don't think i need to worry about the sin function because it is dependent on td (duty cycle) and not time. I am aware of the cos format for x and t dependent but this is how i would plan to change it (for the equation with both sin and cos):
    cos(n*2[itex]\pi[/itex]f*t) -> cos[n(ωt-βx)]

basically I just factored out the n, and I don't think I need to include any phase shift. I just changed the cos part, the rest of the equation stays the same.

I can worry about using Fourier series with MATLAB later, I just wanted to know if the equation for the fourier series I had was right. also, I don't know how to find the value of wavelength for β, since it is not given anywhere. would i need to use the equation for phase velocity, if it is related to the f given somehow?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2013 #2
    OK, so thankfully our professor went over how to find the wavelength in a lecture. According to him in a non-dispersive medium, the phase velocity is simply c=speed of light=3x108. So if I use the equation up=f*λ and given f, then the wavelength λ=300m. So now my fourier series equation looks like this:

1+[itex]\frac{20}{\pi} \sum{\frac{1}{n}sin(\frac{n\pi}{10})cos[n(ωt-βx)]}[/itex] where ω=2[itex]\pi[/itex]*106, β=[itex]\frac{2\pi}{300} = \frac{\pi}{150} [/itex], and the fourier series goes from n=1 to a finite number N=1000 (not infinity).

can someone confirm this is right so far?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted