Fourier Series/Summation Question

• Thread starter erok81
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fourier
In summary: So, it's the same as saying\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}f(n) = f(1) + f(2) + f(3) + ... where k is a constant.In summary, the question is about the sign change when pulling out a constant from a summation. The correct way to do this is to leave the constant outside and apply the summation to the rest of the expression. This is based on the property that states a constant can be pulled out of a summation. The example provided did not show a sign change when the constant was pulled out, but it may have been due to a mistake in the solution manual. Additionally, the method of setting sin(pi*n
erok81
I'm not going to use the standard question as I've already solved it, this is more of a general question that doesn't fit into the three question format.

My question arises almost at the very end of the Fourier Series. It has been a looooong time since I've done summations so I am not sure if this is how they work.

Anyway...I have this:

[tex]\frac{p^2}{3}+\sum \frac{4p^2 cos(\pi n)}{\pi^2 n^2}[/tex]

The 4p^2/Pi^2 can come out to the front and the sign always seems to change when it does. So the final answer is this:

[tex]\frac{p^2}{3}-\frac{4p^2}{\pi^2}\sum \frac{cos(\pi n)}{\n^2}[/tex]

So, does the sign flip when you pull it out of the summation? Maybe one subtracts that from the sum and that is why the sign changes?

On a completely separate Fourier Series note. It seems whenever I have sin(pi*n) I can set that equal to zero for the series (at least I can get my answers to match that way). Is that a correct method? I know for any value of n it would be zero, but I want to make sure that is what is happening.

Hopefully that all makes sense. Thanks for the help.:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Starting with this:

and pulling out the constant from the summation, you should get this:
[tex]\frac{p^2}{3} + \frac{4p^2}{\pi^2}\sum \frac{cos(\pi n)}{n^2}[/tex]

I'm assuming the summation is from n = 0 to infinity. There is no reason for the sign to change when you bring 4p2/(pi)2 out. Why would you think this?

Can you show an example of where you think this happened?

Mark44 said:
Starting with this:

and pulling out the constant from the summation, you should get this:
[tex]\frac{p^2}{3} + \frac{4p^2}{\pi^2}\sum \frac{cos(\pi n)}{n^2}[/tex]

I'm assuming the summation is from n = 0 to infinity. There is no reason for the sign to change when you bring 4p2/(pi)2 out. Why would you think this?

Can you show an example of where you think this happened?

The summation was from n=1 to infinity. I couldn't figure out how to add those with latex.

I agree with you, I didn't make sense but it seemed following the solution manual it's the only way I could get the correct answer.

Let me see if I can dig up the example that it happened with and I'll post it.

Here are your two summation expressions with the limits. Click either one to see how the limits should look.
[tex]\frac{p^2}{3}+\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{4p^2 cos(\pi n)}{\pi^2 n^2}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{p^2}{3}+\frac{4p^2}{\pi^2}\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{ cos(\pi n)}{ n^2}[/tex]

The property used here is
[tex]\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}k f(n) = k\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}f(n) [/tex]

Here k is a constant, so doesn't involve n.

1. What is a Fourier series/summation?

A Fourier series/summation is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as an infinite sum of sine and cosine functions. It allows for the approximation of any periodic function as a combination of simpler trigonometric functions.

2. What is the importance of Fourier series/summation in science?

Fourier series/summation is important in science because it allows for the analysis and understanding of periodic phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It also has practical applications in signal processing, image reconstruction, and data compression.

3. How is a Fourier series/summation calculated?

A Fourier series/summation is calculated by finding the coefficients of the sine and cosine functions that make up the series using integration or other methods. These coefficients are then used to construct the series, which can then be used to approximate the original function.

4. Can Fourier series/summation be used for non-periodic functions?

No, Fourier series/summation can only be used for periodic functions. For non-periodic functions, a similar concept called the Fourier transform is used.

5. Are there any limitations to using Fourier series/summation?

Yes, there are limitations to using Fourier series/summation. It can only be used to approximate functions that are continuous and have well-defined derivatives. It also has convergence issues for functions that have sharp corners or discontinuities.