Fourier Series without complex

In summary, the problem is to find the Fourier series of f(t) = e^(-t) from [0,2] where T=2, without using complex solutions. The solution attempted involved extending the function to be even and changing the period, resulting in an incorrect answer with no sines and cosines in the summation. The student is unsure of where they went wrong.
Alex Santos

Homework Statement

The problem is finding the Fourier series of f(t) = e^(-t) from [0,2] where T=2 and without using complex solution.
[/B]

Homework Equations

f(t) = a0/2 + ∑ (anCos(nωt) +bnsin(nωt)
NOT using f(t) = ∑dne^(inωt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried once but got completely wrong answer.
it was ∑(4*(-1)n+1*e-2+n2π2*e-2*(-1)n+1+4+n2π2) / n2π2

When I graphed this up in my texas it showed like a barcode which is definately wrong.
When I got this solution what I did was extending the function f(t) to be even from [-2,2] and T=4 and went from there so all the bn would be equal to zero but that was as far as I got. What am I doing wrong here?

Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
One thing you're doing wrong is extending the function and changing the period. You're solving a different problem than the one that was given.

As far as your current attempt, you have no sines and cosines in your summation. That's one obvious problem. In any case, you need to show your work. Simply posting an incorrect answer is next to useless. We can't tell where you went wrong if you don't show us what you did.

1. What is a Fourier Series without complex?

A Fourier Series without complex is a mathematical tool used to represent periodic functions as a sum of simple sine and cosine functions, without using complex numbers. It is an alternative to the traditional Fourier Series, which uses complex numbers.

2. How is a Fourier Series without complex calculated?

To calculate a Fourier Series without complex, the function must first be made periodic by extending it over the entire real line. Then, the coefficients for the sine and cosine terms are found using integration techniques. These coefficients are then used to construct the Fourier Series.

3. What are the benefits of using a Fourier Series without complex?

One of the main benefits of using a Fourier Series without complex is that it simplifies the calculations and makes it easier to understand the underlying mathematics. It also allows for easier visualization and interpretation of the series.

4. Are there any limitations to using a Fourier Series without complex?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a Fourier Series without complex. It can only be used for periodic functions, and the function must be smooth and continuous. Additionally, it may not accurately represent functions with sharp corners or discontinuities.

5. How is a Fourier Series without complex used in real-world applications?

A Fourier Series without complex is commonly used in signal processing, image analysis, and data compression. It is also used in the study of vibrations, heat transfer, and other physical phenomena. Additionally, it has applications in audio and video processing, as well as in telecommunications and electrical engineering.