1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Transform (Numerical Analysis)

1. Sep 25, 2011 #1
    1. Calculate the finite Fourier transform of order m of the following sequences:

a) uk = 1, 0[itex]\leq[/itex]k[itex]\leq[/itex]N-1
    b) uk = (-1)k, 0[itex]\leq[/itex]k[itex]\leq[/itex]N-1 N even
    c) uk = k, 0[itex]\leq[/itex]k[itex]\leq[/itex]N-1

2. Relevant equations
    Uk = (1/N)[itex]\sum[/itex]uke-2pi*i*k*j/N from j=0 to N-1 ; 0<=k<=N-1

Attempt:
    a) First thing that I tried is that [itex]\sum[/itex]x^k = [itex]\frac{1}{1-x}[/itex] but that doesn't seem to get where I want. For example, I know that for a), we get 1 for k=0 and 0 for k[itex]\neq[/itex]0 , but this would give 1/N (1) for k = 0 and I don't know what for any other k.
    So, I found a formula that says:
    [itex]\sum[/itex]ei*k*j from j = 0 to N-1
    ={ 0 if e[itex]\neq[/itex]1,
    { N-1 else.

b) wouldn't we get (1/N)[itex]\sum[/itex]-e-2pi*i*k*j/N from j=0 to N-1 ; 0<=k<=N-1 which is the same as part a) ?
    c) I think I need to use the idea that [itex]\sum[/itex]k*x^k = [itex]\frac{x}{(1-x)2}[/itex]

Obviously, if this formula is valid (I have no idea), then it would give 1 for 0 and 0 for other k for part a) which is correct

Any ideas?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2011 #2
    Just a bump

4. Sep 26, 2011 #3
    Nevermind I got it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook