1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Transform of a Gaussian With Non-Zero Mean

1. Nov 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am looking at finding the fourier transform of:
    [tex] f(t)=\exp \left[ \frac{-(t-m)^2}{2 \sigma^2}\right] [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex] \hat{f}(t)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(t) e^{-i \omega t} dt[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I did it a little differently that my professor suggested. He said use taylor series but when I do that I end up getting a triple sum (2 from the exponentials and 1 coming from an (x+m)^j; so I used binomial expansion) so I did it the traditional way you deal with gaussians: complete the square.

I combined the exponentials, completed the square and end up with an answer that looks like:
    [tex] \hat{f}(t)=\frac{1}{2 \sigma}e^{-(\frac{\sigma^2 \omega^2}{2}+i \sigma \omega)}[/tex]
    But wolfram has this:
    http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=fourier+transform+of+e%5E%28-%28t-m%29%5E2%2F%282r%5E2%29%29

With [itex] r= 2 \sigma^2[/itex]

I was just wondering if anyone could double check me against wolfram? I can type out steps if needed. This isn't a homework or anything, he just brought it up and I suggested completing the square instead. Apparently this means I have to present it to the class on Monday -.-

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Comparing your expression for [itex]f(t)[/itex] with the input to the Fourier transform at the Wolfram link, I'm not sure why you put [itex]r = 2\sigma^2[/itex] instead of [itex]r = \sigma[/itex].

Also, check Wolfram's definition of the Fourier transform. It might not include your [itex]1/\sqrt{2\pi}[/itex] factor. There is no universal consensus regarding this. [edit]: You can see their definition by clicking on the "definition" link. Indeed, their definition omits the [itex]1/\sqrt{2\pi}[/itex]

4. Nov 30, 2012 #3
    That's what I meant [tex] r=\sigma[/tex]. I typed it in two different ways and I had them mixed up :/

And omitting the 1/sqrt(2 pi) gives me:
    [tex] \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2 \sigma^2}}e^{-(\frac{\sigma^2 \omega^2}{2}+\sigma^2 i \omega)}[/tex]
    They have the sigma in the numerator some how.

5. Nov 30, 2012 #4
    Ahhhh, nevermind I see it!

6. Nov 30, 2012 #5

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

By the way, you can also solve this problem by using the shift property of the Fourier transform: if [itex]\mathcal{F}[f(t)] = \hat{f}(\omega)[/itex], then [itex]\mathcal{F}[f(t-m)] = \hat{f}(\omega)\exp(-im\omega)[/itex].

7. Nov 30, 2012 #6
    Thank you. I always forget about these nice shifting formulae.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook