1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier transform of a shifted and time-reversed sign

1. May 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    given a continuous-time signal g(t) . Its fourier transform is G(f) ( see definition in picture / "i" is the imaginary number) . It is required to find the fourier transform of the shifted-time-reversed signal g(a-t) where a is a real constant .
    That is , find the fourier transform of g(a-t) based on the knowledge of the fourier transform G(f) of g(t)

2. Relevant equations
    The defition of the fourier transform is shown in the attached picture

3. The attempt at a solution
    There are 2 properties of the fourier transform : shift property + time scaling.
    But i'm not sure how to use them both . I prefer to use the definition of the fourier transform to find the relationship between the fourier transform of g(a-t) and the fourier transform of g(t)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2015 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

So you know ##\mathcal{F} \{g(t) \} = G(f)##.

Try writing this:

$$g(a - t) = g((-1) (t - a))$$

Now you can use both the time scaling and time shifting properties.

4. May 27, 2015 #3
    Can you check the workout i did in the picture below ?

Attached Files:

5. May 27, 2015 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

The time scaling property states:

$$\mathcal{F} \{g(\alpha x) \} = \frac{1}{|\alpha|} \hat G \left( \frac{f}{\alpha} \right)$$

You know ##\mathcal{F} \{g(t) \} = \hat G(f)## and ##g(a - t) = g((-1) (t - a))##.

Let ## u = t - a##. Then ##g((-1) (t - a)) = g((-1)u) = g(\alpha u)## with ##\alpha = -1##.

Then you know ##\mathcal{F} \{g(\alpha u) \} = \frac{1}{|\alpha|} \hat G (\frac{f}{\alpha}) = \hat G (-f)##.

This amounts to saying: Since you know ##\mathcal{F} \{g(t) \} = \hat G(f)##, then you can simply apply a negative sign to the argument and get ##\mathcal{F} \{ g(a - t) \}##.

6. May 27, 2015 #5
    There has to be an exponential factor . Did you check my solution ?

7. May 27, 2015 #6

Zondrina

Homework Helper

The solution is fine, I thought it would be insightful to elaborate on the time-reversal property where ##\alpha = -1##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted