1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Transform of e^(ip0x)F(x) to F(p)

1. May 30, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    f(p) is the Fourier transform of f(x). Show that the Fourier Transform of eipox f(x) is f(p- p0).

2. Relevant equations
    I'm using these versions of the fourier transform:
    f(x)=1/√(2π)∫eixpf(p)dx
    f(p)=1/√(2π)∫e-ixpf(x)dx

3. The attempt at a solution

I have:
    f(p)=1/√(2π)∫eix(po-p)f(x)dx
    which is the same as:
    f(p)=1/√(2π)∫e-ix(p-po)f(x)dx
    but I don't know where to go from here. I think I need to make a substitution using the original transform as I don't need to solve the integral. My other idea is that I have nearly proved it so just need to state the theory as to why this proves it; however, I don't know what that theory would be.
    Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2014 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are using ##\underline{f}(p)## to refer to two different integrals which are not equal.

To avoid confusion, I suggest defining a new function. Let ##g(x) = e^{ip_0x}f(x)##. Then the goal is to show that ##\underline{g}(p) = \underline{f}(p - p_0)##. You have already established that
    $$\underline{g}(p) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int e^{-ix(p - p_0)}f(x) dx$$
    Can you express this in terms of ##\underline{f}##?

4. May 31, 2014 #3
    I understand why I should of renamed the functions but I really can't figure out the next step.
    I realise this is the final aim:
    g(p) = 1/√(2π)∫eix(p - p0f(x) dx = f(p-p0)
    But I don't know how f(x) is related to f(p-p0) and the best I seem able to do is get g(p) in terms of g(x), which is useless.
    Sorry I'm being dense!

5. May 31, 2014 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have
    $$\underline{f}(p) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} e^{-ixp} f(x) dx$$
    so what is ##\underline{f}(p - p_0)##? Just replace ##p## with ##p - p_0## in the equation above. What can you conclude?

Maybe to make it clearer, recognize that I can use any variable instead of ##p## and the equation will still be true. For example,
    $$\underline{f}(y) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} e^{-ixy} f(x) dx$$
    What does this give you when ##y = p - p_0##?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted