Fourier transform of hyperbolic tangent

In summary: Struggling with Fourier TransformsIn summary, Jason was unable to calculate the Fourier transform of the hyperbolic tangent function using the Fourier transform, and turned to WolframAlpha. However, the Fourier transform does not exist as a classical Riemann integral. Jason found a way to calculate the Fourier transform using the contour integration method.
jjr
Hello

I am trying to determine the Fourier transform of the hyperbolic tangent function. I don't have a lot of experience with Fourier transforms and after searching for a bit I've come up empty handed on this specific issue.

So what I want to calculate is:

##\int\limits_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-it\omega}\text{tanh}(bt) dt##

where ##b## is some constant.

Using ##\text{tanh}(bt)=\frac{e^{bt}-e^{-bt}}{e^{bt}+e^{-bt}}## leads to a mess of exponential functions, and does not bring me closer to a solution. Perhaps there is some other way, using tricks specific to calculating Fourier transforms that could be helpful here?

Any suggestions are most appreciated

J

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think the integral converges.

Sorry, I should of course have added that running it through WolframAlpha returns

##\mathcal{F}_t[\text{tanh}(t)](\omega) = i\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}}\text{csch}\left(\frac{\pi\omega}{2}\right)##

which I'm hoping to obtain analytically

This is an interesting problem. The original integral does not exist as a classical Riemann integral, but the Fourier transform exists, at least as a generalized function (ie, in the same way that ##\mathcal{F}\left[ 1 \right](\omega) = 2\pi\delta(\omega)##, or ##\mathcal{F}\left[ sgn(t)\right](\omega)=2 \, \mathcal{P} \frac{1}{\omega}##, where sgn(t) = 1 for t>0 and -1 for t<0, and ##\mathcal{P}## refers to the principle part).

One way to proceed may be to use the fact that ##\frac{d}{dt}\tanh(t) = \text{sech}^2(t)##, so that
##i\omega\mathcal{F}\left[ \tanh(t)\right](\omega) = \mathcal{F}\left[ \text{sech}^2(t)\right](\omega)##. Now you have an integral, ##\mathcal{F}\left[ \text{sech}^2(t)\right](\omega)## that is nicely behaved as in improper Riemann integral, and you may be able apply contour integration or some other technique.

Note that in the above I have been assuming the definition ##\mathcal{F}[f(t)](\omega) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty dt\, e^{-i\omega t} \, f(t)##. I think Wolfram has the ##2\pi## in the exponent, so if you just ask for the Fourier transform the constants won't be the same. So while the result from Wolframalpha may have constants that are not quite right for your definition of the Fourier transform, qualitatively the result seems plausible. This is because ## \text{csch}(\omega)## qualitatively looks like ##\frac{1}{\omega}## (especially near zero, which is what matters when b is large), and as ##b\rightarrow \infty##, ##\tanh(b t)## seems to "converge" (in the sense of distributions) to ##sgn(t)##.

Jason

Last edited:
Likes Delta2, jjr and blue_leaf77
Update: using contour integration I find
##\mathcal{F}\left[ \text{sech}^2(t)\right](\omega) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty dt\, e^{-i\omega t}\, \text{sech}^2(t) = \pi \omega \, \text{csch}\left(\frac{\pi \omega}{2} \right)##

What do you get?

Jason

edit: by the way, I think (although I am not sure) that this means that the answer to your original problem is,
##\mathcal{F}\left[ \text{tanh}(t)\right](\omega) = -i \, \pi \, \mathcal{P}\, \text{csch}\left(\frac{\pi \omega}{2} \right)##.

If you aren't worried about specifying how to treat the singularity at ##\omega=0## then you can get rid of the principle part and use
##\mathcal{F}\left[ \text{tanh}(t)\right](\omega) = -i \, \pi \, \text{csch}\left(\frac{\pi \omega}{2} \right)##

Last edited:
Likes Delta2 and jjr
jasonRF said:
Update: using contour integration I find
##\mathcal{F}\left[ \text{sech}^2(t)\right](\omega) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty dt\, e^{-i\omega t}\, \text{sech}^2(t) = \pi \omega \, \text{csch}\left(\frac{\pi \omega}{2} \right)##

What do you get?

Jason

edit: by the way, I think (although I am not sure) that this means that the answer to your original problem is,
##\mathcal{F}\left[ \text{tanh}(t)\right](\omega) = -i \, \pi \, \mathcal{P}\, \text{csch}\left(\frac{\pi \omega}{2} \right)##.

If you aren't worried about specifying how to treat the singularity at ##\omega=0## then you can get rid of the principle part and use
##\mathcal{F}\left[ \text{tanh}(t)\right](\omega) = -i \, \pi \, \text{csch}\left(\frac{\pi \omega}{2} \right)##

I ended up going a different route. I was working with the ##\text{tanh}(t)## function because I needed something that closely resembles the error function ##\text{erf}(t)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_{-t}^t e^{-t'^2}dt'##, for which I initially couldn't find the F.T. I managed to calculate it after all, and so didn't need the F.T. of ##\text{tanh}(t)##.

Thanks for your help. Since this seems to be a rather unique question hopefully the thread can help someone else at some point.

J

Likes Delta2
Actually, this is helpful to me, as I need the FT of a differential amplifier characteristic, which is tanh(). Thank you for your postings!

Yet Another Grad Student

Likes Delta2 and jasonRF

1. What is the Fourier transform of hyperbolic tangent?

The Fourier transform of hyperbolic tangent, also known as the hyperbolic tangent transform, is a mathematical operation that converts a function of time or space into a function of frequency or wave number. It can be written as T(t) = ∫f(x)e^(-ixt)dx, where f(x) is the function being transformed and T(t) is the transformed function.

2. What is the significance of the Fourier transform of hyperbolic tangent?

The Fourier transform of hyperbolic tangent is commonly used in signal processing, specifically in the analysis of nonlinear systems. It can be used to analyze the frequency content of a signal and identify any nonlinear components present. This can be useful in fields such as telecommunications, image processing, and audio engineering.

3. How is the Fourier transform of hyperbolic tangent calculated?

The Fourier transform of hyperbolic tangent can be calculated using a mathematical formula or through numerical methods. The formula involves integrating the function of interest over the entire range of possible values, while numerical methods use algorithms to approximate the transform. Some common numerical methods include the fast Fourier transform (FFT) and the discrete Fourier transform (DFT).

4. What are the properties of the Fourier transform of hyperbolic tangent?

The Fourier transform of hyperbolic tangent shares many properties with the standard Fourier transform, such as linearity, time shifting, and frequency shifting. It also has its own unique properties, such as scaling in the frequency domain and the ability to transform periodic functions with discontinuities. These properties make it a powerful tool in signal analysis and processing.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Fourier transform of hyperbolic tangent?

Yes, the Fourier transform of hyperbolic tangent has numerous real-world applications. It is commonly used in image and audio compression techniques, as well as in the analysis of chaotic signals in fields such as economics and biology. It also plays a role in the study of quantum mechanics and the behavior of light in optical systems.