Fourier Transform of Ohno Potential

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential function v(r) and its Fourier transform V(q). The integral for V(q) is evaluated using the residue theorem and the result is found to be 0. The conversation also mentions a similar integral that is not convergent when r tends to infinity.
hesky
Ohno Potential is modeled by
[itex]v(r)=\frac{U}{\alpha ^{2}r^{2}+1}[/itex]. U and [itex]\alpha[/itex] are constants.
I try to Fourier transform it
[itex] V(q)=\int V(r) e^{iqr\cos \theta}r^{2} \sin \theta d \phi d \theta dr [/itex]

It gives
[itex] V(q) = 2 \pi U \int \frac {r \sin qr}{\sqrt{\alpha ^{2} r^{2}+1}} dr [/itex]
The integral is from 0 to ∞

Then i try to evaluate the integral using residue theorem
[itex] \int \frac {r \sin qr}{\sqrt{\alpha ^{2} r^{2}+1}} dr =\Im \int \frac {r e^{iqr}}{\sqrt{\alpha ^{2} r^{2}+1}} dr[/itex]
[itex] \oint \frac {r e^{iqr}}{\sqrt{\alpha ^{2} r^{2}+1}} dr=2\pi i \mathrm{Res}(r-i/\alpha) [/itex]
[itex]\mathrm{Res} (r-i/\alpha)=\lim_{r\rightarrow i/\alpha}(r-i/\alpha)\frac {r e^{iqr}}{\sqrt{\alpha ^{2} r^{2}+1}}[/itex]
However I got the result, [itex] \mathrm{Res}(r-i/\alpha)=0[/itex] is somebody knows my mistake or propose a new method to derive the Fourier transform?

Physics news on Phys.org
from where that square root comes from in third line.

[itex] \int \frac {r \sin qr}{\sqrt{\alpha ^{2} r^{2}+1}} dr [/itex] is not convergent when r tends to infinity.

A similar integral is shown in attachment :

Attachments

• Definite Integral.JPG
    Definite Integral.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 451
thanks!

1. What is the Fourier Transform of Ohno Potential?

The Fourier Transform of Ohno Potential is a mathematical transformation that converts a function of position into a function of momentum, showing the contributions of different momentum components to the overall potential energy of a system.

2. What is the significance of the Fourier Transform of Ohno Potential in physics?

The Fourier Transform of Ohno Potential is important in physics because it allows us to understand how different momentum components contribute to the total potential energy of a system, which is crucial in studying the behavior and dynamics of physical systems.

3. How is the Fourier Transform of Ohno Potential calculated?

The Fourier Transform of Ohno Potential can be calculated using a mathematical formula that involves integrating the product of the original potential function and a complex exponential function over all possible values of momentum.

4. What is the relationship between the Fourier Transform of Ohno Potential and the original potential function?

The Fourier Transform of Ohno Potential is the mathematical representation of the original potential function in terms of momentum. It shows how the potential energy of a system is distributed among different momentum components.

5. How is the Fourier Transform of Ohno Potential used in practical applications?

The Fourier Transform of Ohno Potential has various applications in physics, such as in quantum mechanics, solid-state physics, and condensed matter physics. It is also used in signal processing, image processing, and data analysis to analyze and extract information from complex signals and images.