Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier transform of t, 1/t and t^n

1. Nov 24, 2011 #1
    I would like to know how one finds the Fourier transforms of

[tex]t[/tex],

[tex]\frac{1}{t}[/tex]

and

[tex]{t}^{n}[/tex]

with the definition of the fourier transform as

[tex]\mathscr{F}\{f(t)\}=\mathcal{F}\{f(t)\}=\frac{1}{ \sqrt{2\pi} }\int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty}{e}^{-i\omega t}f(t)\mbox{d}t[/tex]

I have tried the definition of a fourier transform and I got some weird limits. Laplace transforms are so much easier!

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2011 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the usual definition of Fourier transform, f(t) is usually presumed to be integrable, or square integrable. None of your functions satisfy this requirement.

4. Nov 25, 2011 #3

Mute

Homework Helper

The functions do, however, have Fourier transforms in terms of distributions. Consider

[tex]\sqrt{2\pi}\delta(\omega) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^\infty dt~e^{i\omega t}.[/tex]

Now, take a derivative of both sides with respect to the frequency:

[tex]\sqrt{2\pi}\delta'(\omega) = \frac{i}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^\infty dt~t e^{i\omega t}.[/tex]

You can keep taking derivatives to get the Fourier transform of tn. For 1/t, the fourier transform will be proportional to the [itex]\mbox{sgn}(\omega)[/itex] function, where sgn(x) returns the sign of x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook