Fourier transform of t, 1/t and t^n

In summary, the Fourier transforms of t, 1/t, and t^n can be obtained using the definition of the Fourier transform as distributions. The Fourier transform of 1/t will be proportional to the sign function, while the Fourier transform of t^n can be obtained by taking derivatives of the delta function with respect to frequency.
dimension10
I would like to know how one finds the Fourier transforms of

[tex]t[/tex],

[tex]\frac{1}{t}[/tex]

and

[tex]{t}^{n}[/tex]

with the definition of the Fourier transform as

[tex]\mathscr{F}\{f(t)\}=\mathcal{F}\{f(t)\}=\frac{1}{ \sqrt{2\pi} }\int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty}{e}^{-i\omega t}f(t)\mbox{d}t[/tex]

I have tried the definition of a Fourier transform and I got some weird limits. Laplace transforms are so much easier!

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the usual definition of Fourier transform, f(t) is usually presumed to be integrable, or square integrable. None of your functions satisfy this requirement.

The functions do, however, have Fourier transforms in terms of distributions. Consider

[tex]\sqrt{2\pi}\delta(\omega) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^\infty dt~e^{i\omega t}.[/tex]

Now, take a derivative of both sides with respect to the frequency:

[tex]\sqrt{2\pi}\delta'(\omega) = \frac{i}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^\infty dt~t e^{i\omega t}.[/tex]

You can keep taking derivatives to get the Fourier transform of tn. For 1/t, the Fourier transform will be proportional to the [itex]\mbox{sgn}(\omega)[/itex] function, where sgn(x) returns the sign of x.

1. What is a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical tool used to decompose a signal or function into its constituent frequency components. It can be used to analyze signals in various fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. How is a Fourier transform calculated?

A Fourier transform is calculated by taking the integral of a function or signal over all time or space, multiplied by a complex exponential function. This integral is known as the Fourier integral.

3. What is the significance of t, 1/t, and t^n in the Fourier transform?

In the Fourier transform, t represents time, and 1/t and t^n are commonly used as weight functions to modify the transform. 1/t represents a logarithmic frequency scale, while t^n can be used to emphasize certain frequency components in the transform.

4. What are the applications of Fourier transform of t, 1/t, and t^n?

The Fourier transform of t, 1/t, and t^n have various applications in different fields. For example, the Fourier transform of t is used in signal and image processing, while the 1/t transform is used in spectroscopy and power spectrum analysis. The t^n transform is commonly used in electrical engineering for filter design.

5. Are there any limitations to using Fourier transform for analysis?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Fourier transform. It assumes that the signal or function being analyzed is periodic and has a continuous spectrum. It also cannot accurately analyze signals with sharp edges or discontinuities. In addition, the inverse Fourier transform may not exist for certain functions.