1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Transform - Solving for Impulse Response!

1. Nov 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to Solve for an impulse response h(t) Given the excitation signal x(t) and the output signal y(t)

x(t) = 4rect(t/2)
    y(t) = 10[(1-e-(t+1))u(t+1) - (1-e-(t-1))u(t-1)]
    h(t) = ???

y(t) = h(t)*x(t) --> '*' meaning convolution!

I am unsure how to take the Fourier Transform of the elements in the output signal. I have posted my attempts below and I would like to know if I am going this correctly or not, Thanks!
    2. Relevant equations
    Using the multiplication - convolution duality I know that we need to take the Fourier transform of each element giving us the following...

Y(f) = H(f)X(f)

Which then allows us to solve for H(f) by Y(f)/X(f)

3. The attempt at a solution

First I distributed the unit step functions in y(t) giving...

y(t) = 10[u(t+1)-e-(t+1)u(t+1) - u(t-1) + e-(t-1)u(t-1)

Now I take the Fourier transform of each element in y(t)

F(u(t+1)) = 1/(jω+(02))(ej2∏f)

F(e-(t+1)u(t+1)) = 1/(jω+(12))(e-j2∏f)

I got this by using the following definition of the Fourier Transform
    e-Atu(t) <---> 1/(jω+A2) for A > 0

I was curious as to if anyone could give me some insight on whether I am performing these operations correctly or not. I apologize if I left out any information!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2012 #2
    Find the Fourier transforms of x(t) and y(t),then use the convolution theorem and inverse transform.

4. Nov 10, 2012 #3
    Ok, but my question was more about whether I am performing the transform correctly , thank you for your response

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook