1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier transformation and light dispersion for spectra analysis

1. Apr 10, 2013 #1
    IR and NIR spectroscopy usually employ Fourier transformation to separate the signal into individual wavelength, UV and Vis spectroscopy normally apply gratings for light dispersion (into individual wavelength). What is the cutoff wavelength, and why is so?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2013 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Are you referring to FTIR spectroscopy?

4. Apr 10, 2013 #3
    I don't think there is any inherent cutoff frequency when dealing with FTIR spectroscopy. Normally your spectral response will be determined by; A) your source. sometimes a tungsten globar or similar; B) your beamsplitter; C) your detector.

there is a lot of pertinent information here

5. Apr 11, 2013 #4
    Yes, for instance, FTIR uses Fourier transformation to convert the signal into individual wavelength, but Vis spectroscopy, like laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy, uses gratings to disperse the light into individual wavelength, I want to know if I can interchange this two techniques for light dispersion .

6. Apr 11, 2013 #5

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Christopher.s' link has a nice explanation of the lower wavelength limit in FTIR machines.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook