Is mixed light the same as interfered light?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of building a simple Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscope and the use of an RGB LED or a series of IR LEDs for light. The question is raised about whether mixing different wavelengths of light is the same as interfering light and if using LEDs can avoid the complex system of mirrors. The conclusion is that non-coherent light is not suitable for seeing interference patterns and would result in a blurry image.
hsherwood68
Hey all!

I'm building a simple low cost Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscope as a summer project. for those unaware, the process involves a Michelson-style interferometer which takes a coherent source and splits it. One ray is reflected directly back whereas the other ray has a path difference introduced by a mirror at a different distance. The mirror is moved by small amounts and the combined and interfered light is passed through the sample. on the other side the signal has an FFT algorithm applied to it and a plot of wavelength vs. absorbance can be recovered.

My question is about light. I was planning to use an RGB LED or a series of IR LEDs of different wavelengths and change their brightness like so:

Is mixing different wavelengths of light the same as interfering light? is there any chance that I could avoid this complex system of mirrors and go for LEDs instead?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
I don't think so. I don't believe your light would be coherent, which is what you need to see the interference pattern. I think non-coherent light just makes a bunch of overlapping interference patterns with the end result being a big blur.

1. What is mixed light?

Mixed light refers to light that contains multiple different wavelengths or colors. This can happen when different sources of light, such as sunlight and artificial light, are combined.

2. What is interfered light?

Interfered light refers to light that has been altered or disrupted by passing through or interacting with other materials or objects. This can cause changes in the direction, intensity, or polarization of the light.

3. Is mixed light the same as interfered light?

No, mixed light and interfered light are not the same. While mixed light can contain multiple colors or wavelengths, interfered light is specifically light that has been altered or disrupted by passing through or interacting with other materials or objects.

4. How does mixed light differ from interfered light?

Mixed light differs from interfered light in that it refers to the combination of different wavelengths or colors, while interfered light specifically refers to the alteration of light by other materials or objects.

5. Can mixed light become interfered light?

Yes, mixed light can become interfered light if it interacts with other materials or objects. For example, if mixed light passes through a prism, it will be separated into its component colors, which can be considered interfered light.