Fourier Transforms: Solving Homework Statement

• Thread starter NotStine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fourier
In summary: Step 1: I need to find the sine and cosine transforms of f(t) = t3 when 0 ≤ t < ∞?You should be able to find the Fourier transforms of t3 and the function f(t) using the Fourier series formula. Step 2: I then need to rearrange to somehow get the equaton in the picture?No, you just need to find the bog standard Fourier transform of t3. Note that in this case the Fourier Transform may be defined as;F\left[f\left(t\right);\omega\right] = \int_{0}^\infty f\left(t
NotStine

Homework Statement

The problem is related to Fourier transforms. Since my teacher only cared to spend 2 lectures explaining the whole of this topic, I just cannot get my head around some of the principles involved.

The question is as follows:

Use the Fourier Transform formulas with the function f(t) = t3 when 0 ≤ t < ∞ to show that
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/6450/fst2kd3.png

What on Earth is my starting point?

Homework Equations

f(t) = a0/2 + Sumn=ainfinity{ancos(2.n.pi.t/T) + bnsin(2.n.pi.t/T)}

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm sorry, like I said I have no clue where to begin from.

1. What is the difference between Fourier series and transform?

2. What would be my starting point for this question? Is this related to Fourier series convergence?

3. What is the "fourier transforms" formula?

I'm afraid my teacher has a habit of making things very complicated, and explaining very little...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fourier Series can be thought of as a discrete Fourier Transform. Do you have a course text that you can refer to? Your starting point would be to determine the Fourier Transform of the given function, but that's going to be very difficult if you don't know what a Fourier Transform is.

For a brief introduction try here: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FourierTransform.html

After reading the notes, this is how far I got:

f(t) = 2/pi. I(0 - inf)fcomega.cosomega.td.omega

However, when I start evaluating the fcomega integral, I have the limits 0 - infinity and I'm left with

[t3.cosomega.t / omega] between 0 and infinity. I can't seem to progress from this stage. All the sample questions I have seen so far have integer limits so I don't know how to evaluate this infinite range. Any help?

You can convert cosw+isinw to eular form which would give you something roughly representing the Fourier transform inside the integral. That could be a starting point.

I just want to confirm if I'm following the right approach.

Step 1: I need to find the sine and cosine transforms of f(t) = t3 when 0 ≤ t < ∞?

Step 2: I then need to rearrange to somehow get the equaton in the picture?

Sorry I haven't got back sooner.
NotStine said:
Step 1: I need to find the sine and cosine transforms of f(t) = t3 when 0 ≤ t < ∞?
No, you just need to find the bog standard Fourier transform of t3. Note that in this case the Fourier Transform may be defined as;
[tex]F\left[f\left(t\right);\omega\right] = \int_{0}^\infty f\left(t\right)e^{-i\omega t}dt[/tex]
NotStine said:
Step 2: I then need to rearrange to somehow get the equaton in the picture?
Yes. HINT: Euler's formula.

Performing the intergral with integration by parts 3 times, I get the following:

F(t3) = 4 / [tex]\omega[/tex]4

With the full transformation

F(t3) = 2/pi * [tex]\int_{0}^\infty[/tex] 4.ei.[tex]\omega[/tex].t / [tex]\omega[/tex]4

Which also equals

F(t3) = 8/pi * [tex]\int_{0}^\infty[/tex] cos[tex]\omega[/tex] + j.sin[tex]\omega[/tex] / [tex]\omega[/tex]4

Now using t = 1, I get

1 = 8 / pi * [tex]\int_{0}^\infty[/tex] ei.[tex]\omega[/tex] / [tex]\omega[/tex]4

pi / 8 = [tex]\int_{0}^\infty[/tex] cos[tex]\omega[/tex] + j.sin[tex]\omega[/tex] / [tex]\omega[/tex]4

Which is not right. I am suppose to get 2*pi / 3. Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

1. What is a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its individual frequency components. It allows us to understand the frequency content of a signal or function, and is widely used in fields such as signal processing, image processing, and quantum mechanics.

2. How is a Fourier transform used to solve homework problems?

A Fourier transform can be used to solve homework problems by transforming a given function into its frequency domain, where it is often easier to analyze and manipulate. This can help simplify complex equations and allow for easier calculation of solutions.

3. What are the applications of Fourier transforms?

Fourier transforms have a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used in signal and image processing, pattern recognition, data compression, solving differential equations, and much more.

4. How is a Fourier transform different from a Fourier series?

A Fourier transform and Fourier series are both mathematical techniques used to analyze functions in terms of their frequency components. However, a Fourier transform is used for continuous functions, while a Fourier series is used for periodic functions. Additionally, a Fourier transform gives a continuous spectrum of frequencies, while a Fourier series only gives a discrete set of frequencies.

5. Are there any limitations to using Fourier transforms?

While Fourier transforms are a powerful tool, there are some limitations to their use. They assume that the data being analyzed is infinite and continuous, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, performing a Fourier transform requires some assumptions to be made about the data, which may not always be accurate.