Fox News from a New Zealander's point of view.

• News
  • Thread starter Kiwi-lad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    News Point
In summary, Kiwi-lad joined the conversation to comment on FoxNews, which he watches for entertainment only. He believes that the channel is biased and not truly "Fair and Balanced." He also mentions watching far right hosts for a laugh and suggests that someone in the US should take the channel to court for false advertising. Other members welcome Kiwi-lad and discuss the availability of Fox and other channels in New Zealand. The conversation concludes with a discussion about Rupert Murdoch and his ownership of Fox News.
Kiwi-lad
I joined this group to specifically comment on FoxNews.
I watch it here in New Zealand on my cable channel.
I watch it if for entertainment only. You can not watch that channel and seriously think you are getting an unbiased view of politics.
One gets the impressions that their hosts think that Obama is a Lenin reincarnated from the dead whom spent a lot of time in the tanning salon up in the sky.
As i say I watch it for entertainment only. When I need a laugh I watch the far right loonies like Hannity and O'Reilly squealing about something. You just have to laugh at them.
I really believe someone should in your country should take this channel to court. Not because they are basically the media wing of the Republic Party, but because they call themselves "Fair and Balanced". Whom are they trying to kid?
I mean, as an example Karl Rove gets interviewed about Obama all the time. Was he not George Bush's right hand man?
Fair and Blanced my A##.
When I want to watch real news, instead of having a laugh, I watch CNN and BBC.
In fact, I don't need the comedy channel anymore - I just tune into Glenn Beck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kiwi - welcome to PF!

I had no idea Fox was available overseas...well no surprise I guess, Murdoch is Australian.

I hope you don't extrapolate what you see on Faux News onto the whole of the American population. Plenty of us feel as you do.

Kiwi-lad, welcome to PF.

You do realize that by watching it, in effect you are supporting it, right?

lisab said:
Hi Kiwi - welcome to PF!

I had no idea Fox was available overseas...well no surprise I guess, Murdoch is Australian.

I hope you don't extrapolate what you see on Faux News onto the whole of the American population. Plenty of us feel as you do.

Hello there Lisa :-)

Well, that's not surprising. I read a travel book once about an American woman whom traveled to New Zealand and was shocked to find out that we served in the Vietnam War!
Yes, we get Fox News, CNN, CNBC, ESPN ...
I don't say that to sound condascending, but just that New Zealand is just a tiny country at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean, whom not a lot of people know too much about.
:-)

Murdoch is an Australian, and a very Conservative one at that. I am glad he is Australian and not a Kiwi !

And I realize the Fox debate has probably been done adnauseum on this Forum, so sorry to all if I am going over old ground - but I just had too get my 2 cents in.

Cheers :-)

Ivan Seeking said:
Kiwi-lad, welcome to PF.

You do realize that by watching it, in effect you are supporting it, right?

Absolutely. I maintain they have the right to spout off as much conservative waffle as they want. I enjoy the channel, I don't think the hosts are "Bad" people...as I said, I watch it for pure entertainment.
But I do think their "Fair & Balanced" mantra is just plain silly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kiwi-lad said:
Hello there Lisa :-)

Well, that's not surprising. I read a travel book once about an American woman whom traveled to New Zealand and was shocked to find out that we served in the Vietnam War!
Yes, we get Fox News, CNN, CNBC, ESPN ...
I don't say that to sound condascending, but just that New Zealand is just a tiny country at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean, whom not a lot of people know too much about.
:-)

Murdoch is an Australian, and a very Conservative one at that. I am glad he is Australian and not a Kiwi !

And I realize the Fox debate has probably been done adnauseum on this Forum, so sorry to all if I am going over old ground - but I just had too get my 2 cents in.

Cheers :-)

Oh, I should have elaborated...yes I know New Zealand is a different country than Australia. But I figured if Murdoch has such an extensive reach into the US market, he must have quite a reach into New Zealand as well.

I would love to visit your country some day...looks so beautiful!

Kiwi-lad said:
Absolutely. I maintain they have the right to spout off as much conservative waffle as they want. I enjoy the channel, I don't think the hosts are "Bad" people...as I said, I watch it for pure entertainment.
But I do think their "Fair & Balanced" mantra is just plain silly.

The problem of course is all those people who don't see it as one big pathetic joke.

Kiwi-lad...welcome!

Just out of curiosity...do you also receive MSNBC...the exact (left) opposite of FOX?

WhoWee said:
Kiwi-lad...welcome!

Just out of curiosity...do you also receive MSNBC...the exact (left) opposite of FOX?

Uh, No.

g'day to you mate. :biggrin:
(ya you wrong country. :wink: I know )

I hope you got to watch the Tea bag tax protests.
FOX coverage and the CNN coverage of the FOX coverage was good for a laugh a minute.

Kiwi-lad said:
I read a travel book once about an American woman whom traveled to New Zealand
That sounds unlikely - an American travelled to New Zealand.
Was she disappointed at not seeing hobbits?

Murdoch is an Australian, and a very Conservative one at that.
He is an American now - to get around US rules on ownership of newspapers.
Only a true patriot would give up their country for the SEC

1. How is Fox News perceived in New Zealand?

Fox News is generally viewed as a highly conservative and biased news source in New Zealand. Its coverage and commentary on political and social issues are often seen as divisive and polarizing.

2. Are there any major differences between Fox News and other news outlets in New Zealand?

Yes, there are significant differences between Fox News and other news outlets in New Zealand. While most news organizations in New Zealand strive for neutrality and balance in their reporting, Fox News has a reputation for promoting conservative viewpoints and often presents them as facts rather than opinions.

3. How does the New Zealand government regulate Fox News?

The New Zealand government does not regulate Fox News as it is a privately owned news organization based in the United States. However, the New Zealand Broadcasting Standards Authority does have the authority to investigate and make rulings on complaints against Fox News programs that air in New Zealand.

4. Is Fox News popular in New Zealand?

Fox News is not popular in New Zealand, as it caters to a specific audience and often promotes views that are not widely accepted in the country. It also has a limited presence in New Zealand, with only a few cable providers offering the channel.

5. How does the coverage of New Zealand on Fox News differ from other news outlets?

Fox News often portrays New Zealand in a negative light, focusing on controversial issues such as immigration and gun control. Its coverage is also often limited and lacks depth compared to other news outlets that provide more comprehensive and nuanced perspectives on New Zealand.