1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fractional wave tuned antenna/inductor

1. Aug 10, 2006 #1
    Hello,

I have posted a while ago wondering how to make a coil that was tuned to earth resonance (~7.8 Hz). I realize that the wavelength at that frequency range is ridiculously low and would require an antenna the size of Texas to couple too normally. But I heard something about fractional wave antennas and was wondering if something like that would work. I basically want to tune into that frequency range to run a small oscillator circuit. But I am wondering if there is anyway to input the signal into the tank circuit without using a huge antenna.

Thanks,
    Jason O

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What is the energy exactly that you are trying to couple to? I don't mean some pseudo-science energy field. I mean, where is the energy coming from, and what form is it in?

4. Aug 11, 2006 #3

berkeman

This is pretty cool. I ran 500 turns of Cat5 around a 55 gallon drum and started picking up some Martian transmissions. Dang, what is their don de translation...

5. Aug 11, 2006 #4

berkeman

Are they using 32-bit encryption or 64? Anybody know for sure?

6. Aug 12, 2006 #5
    No, the signal source I want to tune into is 100% natural, no psudo-science necessary. Here is a link with information about this natural frequency range. It's called the Schumann Resonance.

http://www.iihr.uiowa.edu/projects/schumann/Index.html

Thank you,
    Jason O

7. Aug 12, 2006 #6

berkeman

Hmmm. Looks like a reputable source, and the two-conductor thing sounds reasonable. How about just using the meter-size antennas that the author describes? The article mentions several other ULF antennas -- how big are they, and how are they constructed?

I googled Schumann Resonance and got lots of hits. Kind of interesting. I totally don't get the spoiler warning thing at Wikipedia's page for Schumann Resonance -- what the heck is "Serial Experiments Lain"? I followed the link, but that made even less sense to me :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schumann_resonance

8. Aug 12, 2006 #7

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks like a Japnese SciFi cyberpunk cartoon/game.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?