Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fractional wave tuned antenna/inductor

1. Aug 10, 2006 #1
    Hello,

I have posted a while ago wondering how to make a coil that was tuned to earth resonance (~7.8 Hz). I realize that the wavelength at that frequency range is ridiculously low and would require an antenna the size of Texas to couple too normally. But I heard something about fractional wave antennas and was wondering if something like that would work. I basically want to tune into that frequency range to run a small oscillator circuit. But I am wondering if there is anyway to input the signal into the tank circuit without using a huge antenna.

Thanks,
    Jason O

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What is the energy exactly that you are trying to couple to? I don't mean some pseudo-science energy field. I mean, where is the energy coming from, and what form is it in?

4. Aug 11, 2006 #3

berkeman

This is pretty cool. I ran 500 turns of Cat5 around a 55 gallon drum and started picking up some Martian transmissions. Dang, what is their don de translation...

5. Aug 11, 2006 #4

berkeman

Are they using 32-bit encryption or 64? Anybody know for sure?

6. Aug 12, 2006 #5
    No, the signal source I want to tune into is 100% natural, no psudo-science necessary. Here is a link with information about this natural frequency range. It's called the Schumann Resonance.

http://www.iihr.uiowa.edu/projects/schumann/Index.html

Thank you,
    Jason O

7. Aug 12, 2006 #6

berkeman

Hmmm. Looks like a reputable source, and the two-conductor thing sounds reasonable. How about just using the meter-size antennas that the author describes? The article mentions several other ULF antennas -- how big are they, and how are they constructed?

I googled Schumann Resonance and got lots of hits. Kind of interesting. I totally don't get the spoiler warning thing at Wikipedia's page for Schumann Resonance -- what the heck is "Serial Experiments Lain"? I followed the link, but that made even less sense to me :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schumann_resonance

8. Aug 12, 2006 #7

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks like a Japnese SciFi cyberpunk cartoon/game.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?