Fractional wave tuned antenna/inductor (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Hello,

I have posted a while ago wondering how to make a coil that was tuned to earth resonance (~7.8 Hz). I realize that the wavelength at that frequency range is ridiculously low and would require an antenna the size of Texas to couple too normally. But I heard something about fractional wave antennas and was wondering if something like that would work. I basically want to tune into that frequency range to run a small oscillator circuit. But I am wondering if there is anyway to input the signal into the tank circuit without using a huge antenna.

Thanks,
Jason O

berkeman

Mentor
What is the energy exactly that you are trying to couple to? I don't mean some pseudo-science energy field. I mean, where is the energy coming from, and what form is it in?

berkeman

Mentor
This is pretty cool. I ran 500 turns of Cat5 around a 55 gallon drum and started picking up some Martian transmissions. Dang, what is their don de translation...

berkeman

Mentor
Are they using 32-bit encryption or 64? Anybody know for sure?

berkeman said:
What is the energy exactly that you are trying to couple to? I don't mean some pseudo-science energy field. I mean, where is the energy coming from, and what form is it in?
No, the signal source I want to tune into is 100% natural, no psudo-science necessary. Here is a link with information about this natural frequency range. It's called the Schumann Resonance.

http://www.iihr.uiowa.edu/projects/schumann/Index.html [Broken]

Thank you,
Jason O

Last edited by a moderator:

berkeman

Mentor
Jdo300 said:
No, the signal source I want to tune into is 100% natural, no psudo-science necessary. Here is a link with information about this natural frequency range. It's called the Schumann Resonance.

http://www.iihr.uiowa.edu/projects/schumann/Index.html [Broken]

Thank you,
Jason O
Hmmm. Looks like a reputable source, and the two-conductor thing sounds reasonable. How about just using the meter-size antennas that the author describes? The article mentions several other ULF antennas -- how big are they, and how are they constructed?

I googled Schumann Resonance and got lots of hits. Kind of interesting. I totally don't get the spoiler warning thing at Wikipedia's page for Schumann Resonance -- what the heck is "Serial Experiments Lain"? I followed the link, but that made even less sense to me :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schumann_resonance

Last edited by a moderator:

NoTime

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
berkeman said:
what the heck is "Serial Experiments Lain"?
Looks like a Japnese SciFi cyberpunk cartoon/game.

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving