Frame Synchronisation via Modified Approach to Bit Insertion

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a system for transmitting voice over a distance using analog components and TTL I.C.s. The problem of achieving frame synchronisation is addressed, and the use of bit stuffing and other methods such as Manchester encoding and Group Coding are suggested. The person seeking help mentions modified solutions and asks questions about implementation and identifying the least significant bit of codewords. Finally, it is suggested to look into SDLC and NRZI coding for possible solutions.
galaxy_twirl

Homework Statement

I am currently embarking on a project which requires me to design a system where I can transmit voice over a distance, by inputting an analog voice signal on one end and then recovering the voice which I input on the transmitting end at the receiving end.

The general design (given by my teacher) is here (and I am allowed to modify the design if I wish to):

v3zkuw.jpg

However, I am stuck on the problem of achieving frame synchronisation, which is essential in recovering the voice signal at the decoder (receiver).

Homework Equations

(I will state the components I have in here.)[/B]

TTL I.C.s components:

74 HC 00 NAND gates
74 HC 04 NOT gate
74 HC 32 OR gates
74HC73 Dual J-K Flip-Flops with CLR
74HC74 D-flip-flop
74 HC 164 Parallel-out serial-in shift register
74 HC 165 Parallel-out serial-in shift register
74 HC 191 4-bit counter
74HC297 DPLL

Analog components:

TP3054/TP3057 PCM codec
LM386 Audio amplifier

The Attempt at a Solution

Currently, I have thought of using bit stuffing to achieve frame synchronisation while keeping the probability of the frame marker detector detecting false frames to a minimum via the attempt to eliminate false frame markers. However, in the project, we have to ensure bit synchronisation and hence, the presence of the bit clock hampers our solution, which is to do bit stuffing, since the insertion of a binary digit will extend the bit clock duration and cause bit synchronisation problems between the receiver and transmitter.

Hence, I have modified our solution to the case where, instead of inserting a binary digit, I will change the LSB (least significant bit) of the n-bit codewords, e.g. 01111110 to 01111111, for instance. However, I have 3 questions in mind:

Q1. Is this implementation of my solution possible with the chips I have above?

Q2. How can I tell my chip to change the least significant bit of my n-bit codewords?

Q3. How do I identify the LSB of my n-bit codewords?

Just wondering, if my modified solution of bit stuffing does not work, are there any solutions or resources which I can point to to get ideas for eliminating to a minimum, false frame marker detection by the frame marker detector?

A big thank you to anyone who can help me in my questions above. :D Thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
  1. Look up SDLC "bit-stuffing" and NRZI coding.
  2. Use "Manchester encoding".
  3. Use Group Coding (4-to-5 bit encoding)
Your problem has been solved in many ways before.

Hi Svein.

Thank you for your reply.

In the end, my group used a verifier sort of thing at the receiver side to weed out false frames so the correct frames can be received and processed at the receiver end. :)

What is frame synchronisation via modified approach to bit insertion?

Frame synchronisation via modified approach to bit insertion is a method used in digital communication systems to ensure accurate alignment of the received data frames with the receiving system's clock. It involves inserting a specific number of extra bits into the data stream to create a unique bit pattern that can be detected by the receiver for frame synchronisation.

Why is frame synchronisation important in digital communication systems?

Frame synchronisation is important because it ensures that the data being transmitted is received accurately and in the correct order. This is crucial in digital communication systems where data is transmitted in the form of frames, and any errors or misalignment can lead to loss or corruption of data.

How does the modified approach to bit insertion work?

In the modified approach to bit insertion, a predetermined number of extra bits are added to the data stream at specific intervals. These extra bits create a unique bit pattern that can be detected by the receiver, allowing it to align its clock with the incoming data frames. This helps in achieving accurate frame synchronisation.

What are the advantages of using the modified approach to bit insertion for frame synchronisation?

One of the main advantages of the modified approach to bit insertion is its simplicity and effectiveness. It is a cost-effective method that can be easily implemented in digital communication systems. Additionally, it is robust and can handle errors in the data stream without affecting frame synchronisation.

Are there any limitations of using the modified approach to bit insertion for frame synchronisation?

One limitation of the modified approach to bit insertion is that it requires a fixed data rate. Any changes in the data rate can affect the accuracy of frame synchronisation. Additionally, it may not be suitable for systems that require high data rates as it can lead to an increase in the overall data transmission time.