Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Francis diagrams and Acetaldehyde?

1. May 5, 2018 #1
    Hi,

my professor asked a friend of mine to draw the line for Acetaldehyde in the Francis diagrams. How can someone answer that question without knowing ##ΔG°(T)## of Acetaldehyde? Are there some qualitative consideration that can help me draw an approximated line ?

For example I thought that @T=1000-1200°C ##C_3CHO## should be less stable of ##CH_4## (right?) and it also should be less stable of benzene. Are my assumptions correct? And for other hydrocarbon ?

Thanks
    Ric

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2018 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

4. May 11, 2018 #3

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure how you would compare acetaldehyde with methane here. In the Francis diagrams I've seen, the compounds usually only contain carbon and hydrogen. With C, H, and O, you have to reference the heats of formation to the elements. So instead of comparing acetaldehyde and methane, you would have to compare acetaldehyde with methane + O2 (or maybe methane + CO). I would think that, thermodynamically, acetaldehyde would be more stable than a mixture of methane and oxygen. But I'm just kind of guessing here, as I've never seen a Francis diagram with oxygen-containing compounds.

5. May 12, 2018 #4
    Me too, but this is as far as I can get. I can't think of anything more...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted