Free Body Diagram, Newton's 3rd

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a car pushing a truck with a dead battery. The question asks for the magnitude of the force of both the car and the truck on each other. The participants discuss the use of free body diagrams and Newton's Third Law of Motion to solve the problem. A helpful lecture is provided and the importance of understanding concepts is emphasized. The conversation ends with a participant expressing their fatigue from studying the problem for 7 hours.
myxomatosii
[SOLVED] Free Body Diagram, Newton's 3rd

SOLVED

Homework Statement

A 1200 kg car pushes a 2000 kg truck that has a dead battery. When the driver steps on the accelerator, the drive wheels of the car push against the ground with a force of 4700 N.

(a) What is the magnitude of the force of the car on the truck?
(b) What is the magnitude of the force of the truck on the car?

Homework Equations

fs=[tex]\mu[/tex]sn
F=ma
Fnetc/mc=FnetT/FT

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew this free body diagram, I am not really sure how to set this problem up but I thought this would be a good start.

Wanted to see how "right" it is.

nc = normal force of car
nT = normal force of truck
fsc = static friction force
Fc on T = force of car on Truck
FT on c = force of Truck on car
mcg = weight of car
mTg = weight of truck

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8660/fbda88b.jpg

I've done a little dabbling with formulas from there but nothing great. I haven't solved anything so.. maybe I can at least figure out if my drawing is right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Newton's Third Law of Motion? :wink:

Solved! Used the materials forum on this site.

I know people google questions like these a lot, at least I do. You will find a very good lecture on this exact problem at the link I will provide, 16 minutes into Lecture 6.

http://www.free-ed.net/free-ed/Science/Physics/physicsMIT01_VOD.asp

But if you know the concept correctly, you can solve pretty much any problem based on that.

sArGe99 said:
But if you know the concept correctly, you can solve pretty much any problem based on that.

I hope so, I'm trying it out now.

To tell you the truth I've been studying these ideas for the past 7 hours and I'm becoming quite tired... so I don't know how well I can apply them at the moment. Normally I am at work right now but I called out to spend the whole night on this.

What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of a single object or system, showing all the external forces acting on the object. It is a helpful tool in understanding and solving problems related to Newton's laws of motion.

What are the three laws of motion in Newton's third law?

Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force on the first object.

How do you draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, first identify the object or system you are studying. Then, draw a dot to represent the object and label it with the appropriate symbol. Next, draw and label all the external forces acting on the object. Finally, draw and label any coordinate axes or reference points that will help in solving the problem.

What is the purpose of a free body diagram?

The purpose of a free body diagram is to provide a visual representation of the forces acting on an object or system. This allows for a better understanding of the problem and helps in applying Newton's laws of motion to solve it.

Can you use a free body diagram to solve any type of problem?

Yes, a free body diagram can be used to solve problems related to any type of motion, as long as the object or system is in equilibrium or has a constant velocity. It is a fundamental tool in analyzing and solving problems in physics and engineering.