Free body diagram problem assistance

In summary, the couch is being pushed with a force of 56N at an angle of 40 degrees above the horizontal. The couch experiences an acceleration of 0.02m/s^2.
gbaby370
Hey,

I'm having a bit of trouble with a Free Body Diagram question and I'm not sure if I'm going about it properly.

The question asks;

A 82kg couch is being pushed with a force of 56N at an angle of 40 degrees above the horizontal. If the coefficient of friction between the couch and the floor is 0.051, what is the acceleration of the couch?

My final answer was it accelerated at 0.02m/s^2.

I think I am incorrect because the acceleration in the vertical has to be 0, and therefore Fg, Fn and Fappv must balance out to 0. If so, I will have a different Fn. Can someone let me know if I'm on to something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please don't give me the answer for the problem as I want to figure it out myself. But right now I'm confused assuming that if there's acceleration on the horizontal, that it is also on the vertical? For some reason I think a=0 on the vertical, but I'm new.

gbaby370 said:
Please don't give me the answer for the problem as I want to figure it out myself. But right now I'm confused assuming that if there's acceleration on the horizontal, that it is also on the vertical? For some reason I think a=0 on the vertical, but I'm new.

Imagine pushing a couch at an angle with a moderate force. Is the couch either going to "fly" upwards or fall through the floor? If you believe it's no to both of these possibilities then the acceleration on the vertical must be zero. Often times when you're confused with physical situations it's helpful to imagine them out and the implications of different values...

if you could show the resultant forces you've found for horizontal and vertical and how you found them, I may be able to help you find your mistake.

btw you've posted your question in the wrong section. this is for pre-cal math questions.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help, I think I was able to figure it out.
The only acceleration would be on the x-axis in the direction the couch is moving, therefore Fnet in the y-axis would be 0 and my normal force, force of gravity, and applied force (y-axis) should = 0. Therefore the normal force would be the difference of the force of gravity and force applied (y axis). And i think everything just falls into place after that.

What do you think?

Sorry for posting in the wrong area...new to all of this.

Sounds perfect :smile:

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of an object or system with all the external forces acting on it shown as arrows. It helps to analyze the forces and motion of the object.

2. Why is it important to draw a free body diagram?

Drawing a free body diagram is important because it helps to identify and understand all the external forces acting on an object. This information is crucial in solving problems involving forces and motion.

3. How do I draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, start by identifying the object or system you want to analyze. Then, draw a simple sketch of the object, including all the external forces acting on it. Use arrows to represent the direction and magnitude of each force.

4. Can I use a free body diagram to solve any type of problem?

Yes, a free body diagram can be used to solve a wide range of problems involving forces and motion. It is a valuable tool in physics and engineering, and can be applied to problems in various fields such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism.

5. Are there any tips for solving free body diagram problems?

One helpful tip for solving free body diagram problems is to always label each force and its direction on the diagram. This will help you keep track of the forces and their effects on the object. It is also important to understand the basic principles of forces and motion, such as Newton's laws, to effectively solve these types of problems.