Assistance in Free Body Diagram Question

In summary, the conversation revolves around a question regarding calculating the acceleration of a couch being pushed with a given force at a certain angle and with a given coefficient of friction. The final answer given by the speaker is 0.02m/s^2, but they are unsure if it is correct and whether the vertical forces should be considered and how they should factor into the net force calculation. The speaker also mentions figuring it out on their own and questioning if the normal force is the sum of the gravitational force and the force applied at an angle.
gbaby370
Hey,

I'm having a bit of trouble with a Free Body Diagram question and I'm not sure if I'm going about it properly.

The question asks;

A 82kg couch is being pushed with a force of 56N at an angle of 40 degrees above the horizontal. If the coefficient of friction between the couch and the floor is 0.051, what is the acceleration of the couch?

My final answer was it accelerated at 0.02m/s^2.

I think I am incorrect because I'm not sure if I need to consider the upwards component of the force applied, and I am not sure when calculating the net force, are you supposed to add up the vertical and horizontal and then apply it to the horizontal acceleration? Or are only the net forces on the horizontal important for the forward acceleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
I also got a normal force of 803.6N [up]. I wasn't sure if there would be a vertical acceleration involved, so I figured it would be the opposite of the gravitational force.

I think I may have figured it out on my own. Please correct me. But the total value of the vertical forces must be 0? So if Fnet= Fg + Fn + Fv, would the normal force be the sum of Fg and Fn?

What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a simplified visual representation of an object or system, showing all the external forces acting on it. It helps to analyze and solve problems involving the motion or equilibrium of the object or system.

How do I draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, start by identifying the object or system and all the external forces acting on it. Then, draw a rough outline of the object and label all the forces with arrows pointing in the direction of the force. Remember to also include the forces' magnitudes and any angles between them.

What are the different types of forces that can be included in a free body diagram?

The different types of forces that can be included in a free body diagram are: weight, normal force, tension, friction, applied force, and any other forces that are relevant to the problem being solved.

Do I need to include all the forces acting on an object in a free body diagram?

No, you do not need to include all the forces acting on an object in a free body diagram. Only include the forces that are relevant to the problem being solved.

Can a free body diagram be used for objects in motion as well as objects in equilibrium?

Yes, a free body diagram can be used for both objects in motion and objects in equilibrium. For objects in motion, the free body diagram helps to analyze the forces causing the motion. For objects in equilibrium, the free body diagram helps to determine the forces that are balanced and keeping the object in a state of rest.