How do I model the motor in this free body diagram problem?

In summary, the conversation is about understanding a free body diagram problem involving a shaft, a magnetic bearing, and a motor. The motor has a radial stiffness of 1200N/mm and is in equilibrium when on axis, but is radially attracted when off axis. The pivot at the top is fixed and the shaft is modeled as infinitely stiff. The magnetic bearing is also modeled as springs in parallel, but the correct way to model the motor is still being discussed. Additional details are needed in the figure and in words to fully understand the problem.
ghobbs
Hi

I have a problem in understanding the attached free body diagram problem.

I have a shaft that is pivoted at the top. Below the pivot is a magnetic bearing with a radial stiffness of 2600N/mm. I've modeled this as a springs in parallel. Below the bearing is a motor with a radial stiffness of 1200N/mm.

The problem is that I don't know how to model the motor. I've previously thought of it as springs in parallel, but that's not correct. The motor is in equilibrium when on axis, but as soon as it moves off axis it is radially attracted. It's almost like it's a spring with a negative force.

I'm trying to produce a free body diagram for this system. When I apply a force F at the bottom of the shaft I want to know the reaction forces and deflections at the pivot, bearing and motor.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Attachments

• New Doc 6.pdf
    243.6 KB · Views: 255
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a vertical shaft motor with only one bearing?

Your figure does not show very much. Please add a bit of detail, both in the figure and in words.

There is a lower bearing, but at this stage it's not assembled. I'm not sure what detail I've missed out. I guess the idea of a free body diagram is to keep it simple.

The pivot at the top is fixed, so the shaft is only able to pivot about the pivot. There is a magnetic bearing which I've modeled as springs in parallel. There is a motor which I'm not sure how to model. The shaft can be regarded as infinitely stiff.

Please let me know what detail I've missed out.

Any thoughts anyone? Thanks.

What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object in a given situation. It helps to isolate and analyze the individual forces acting on the object.

Why is it important to use free body diagrams?

Free body diagrams are important because they provide a clear and organized way to analyze the forces acting on an object. They help to identify and understand the different forces at play in a situation, making it easier to solve problems and make predictions.

What are the key components of a free body diagram?

The key components of a free body diagram are the object being analyzed, labeled points or nodes, and labeled arrows representing the forces acting on the object. The direction and magnitude of the forces should also be included.

How do I draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, start by identifying the object and labeling it with a dot or shape. Then, identify all the forces acting on the object and draw arrows pointing in the direction of each force, labeling them with their respective magnitudes. Finally, make sure all the forces are properly labeled and include a coordinate system if needed.

How can I use free body diagrams to solve problems?

To solve problems using free body diagrams, start by drawing an accurate diagram and labeling all the forces. Then, use Newton's laws of motion and any other relevant equations to solve for the unknown variables. It is important to make sure all the forces are properly accounted for and that the equations used are appropriate for the situation.