1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free fall motion

1. Sep 10, 2003 #1
    Consider a particle located at (x0, y0), having inital velocity v0, and the angle of inclination of the velocity vector is [the]. The particle is subjected to a vertical acceleration of -g. It's equation of motion is...

x = x0 + v0*cos[the]*t
    y = y0 + v0*sin[the]*t - 0.5*g*t2

If t>0, the particle will reach y = 0 when
    t = {v0*sin[the] + sqrt((v0*sin[the])2+2*g*y0)}/g

(found using the abc formula)

If we call the time t1, then at that time the x position of the particle is (call it x1)...

x1 = x0 + v0*cos[the]*t1

The question is: at initial height y0, what angle will make x1 maximum?

I found it very hard to make the equation simple enough to be able to solve this problem... Can anyone help me?

PS: in the case of y0 = 0, the problem will be easy to solve, with the answer 45 degrees.

Thank you...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2003 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Replacing t1 in x1= x0+ v0 cos[theta] t1

with t1= (v0/g)sin[theta]+ (1/g)(v0^2 sin^2 [theta]+ (gyo/2))^(1/2)
    (the positive time at which y= 0) gives

x1= x0+ (v0^2/g)sin[theta]cos[theta]+(v0/g)sin[theta](v0^2sin^2[theta]+ (gy0/2))

Differentiating,

dx1/d[theta]= (v0^2/g)(cos^2[theta]- sin^2[theta])+ (v0/g)cos[theta](v0sin^2[theta]+(gy0/2))^(1/2)+ vo^3/g sin^2[theta]cos[theta](v0^2sin^2[theta] + (gy0/2))^(-1/2) = 0 at maximum x1.

I'm with you! I don't see any "nice" way of solving that for [theta]. Do you have any reason to think that there should be?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook