Free fall time in an accelerating frame of reference

In summary, the problem involves finding the free fall time of a bolt in an elevator that is accelerating at a constant rate. The correct equations to use are ##y_b(t)=-\frac{1}{2}g(t-2)^2+2w(t-2)+(l+2w)## and ##d(t)=-\frac{1}{2}(g+w)t^2+2(g+w)t+(l-2w-2g)##. The solution involves setting the distance between the bolt and the elevator equal to the distance traveled by the bolt during its free fall, and using the quadratic formula to solve for t. The correct answer is ##0.7s##.
archaic
Homework Statement
An elevator car whose floor-to-ceiling distance is equal to ##2.7m## starts ascending with constant acceleration ##1.2 m/s^2##. ##2.0 s## after the start a bolt begins falling from the ceiling of the car. Find the bolt's free fall time.
Relevant Equations
##y(t)=\frac{1}{2}at^2+v_0t+y_0##
##l=2.7m## and ##w=1.2m/s^2##
This is my wrong attempt, the bolt's equation for ##t\geq 2## would be ##y_b(t)=-\frac{1}{2}g(t-2)^2+e(2)+l## where ##e(t)=\frac{1}{2}wt^2## the position of the elevator's floor in the absolute frame of reference.
##d(t)=-\frac{1}{2}(w+g)t^2+2gt+2(w-g)+l## the distance between the bolt and the elevator.
I get ##\Delta=4g^2+(2g+2w)(2w-2g+l)## and so ##t=\frac{-2g\pm\sqrt{4g^2+(2g+2w)(2w-2g+l)}}{-(g+w)}## which yields a wrong answer.
My mistake is probably in the bolt's position equation, I don't see how it's wrong though.
The correct answer is ##0.7s##.
Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That expression for the bolt's position is a bit confusing. How about redoing it, measuring the time from the moment the bolt drops and the position from the car floor at that moment. Then do something similar for the position of the car floor and solve for their intersection.

archaic said:
Problem Statement: An elevator car whose floor-to-ceiling distance is equal to ##2.7m## starts ascending with constant acceleration ##1.2 m/s^2##. ##2.0 s## after the start a bolt begins falling from the ceiling of the car. Find the bolt's free fall time.
Relevant Equations: ##y(t)=\frac{1}{2}at^2+v_0t+y_0##
##l=2.7m## and ##w=1.2m/s^2##

This is my wrong attempt, the bolt's equation for ##t\geq 2## would be ##y_b(t)=-\frac{1}{2}g(t-2)^2+e(2)+l## where ##e(t)=\frac{1}{2}wt^2## the position of the elevator's floor in the absolute frame of reference.
##d(t)=-\frac{1}{2}(w+g)t^2+2gt+2(w-g)+l## the distance between the bolt and the elevator.
I get ##\Delta=4g^2+(2g+2w)(2w-2g+l)## and so ##t=\frac{-2g\pm\sqrt{4g^2+(2g+2w)(2w-2g+l)}}{-(g+w)}## which yields a wrong answer.
My mistake is probably in the bolt's position equation, I don't see how it's wrong though.
The correct answer is ##0.7s##.
Thank you!
Simply add the two accelerations, 1.2 + g, and use the standard SUVAT equations.
I get t = 0.70033 s.

archaic said:
Did you take into account that the bolt has an upward velocity at the moment the bolt begins to fall?

Doc Al said:
That expression for the bolt's position is a bit confusing. How about redoing it, measuring the time from the moment the bolt drops and the position from the car floor at that moment. Then do something similar for the position of the car floor and solve for their intersection.
Well, at first the bolt is moving with the elevator so its position relative to the ground would be ##y_b(t)=e(t)+l## but then it starts falling at ##t=2s##, hence the ##-\frac{1}{2}g(t-2)^2##, and ##e(t=2s)+l## is its distance relative to the ground when it goes into the free fall. So ##y_b(t)=-\frac{1}{2}g(t-2)^2+e(t=2s)+l##.
TSny said:
Did you take into account that the bolt has an upward velocity at the moment the bolt begins to fall?
Oh, so when the ball starts to free fall, we interpret it as not being accelerated anymore and so it has a velocity by virtue of its previous state of being accelerated? Makes sense.

archaic said:
Oh, so when the ball starts to free fall, we interpret it as not being accelerated anymore and so it has a velocity by virtue of its previous state of being accelerated? Makes sense.
Yes. Of course the bolt still has acceleration g after starting free fall.

I didn't take into account the fact that the bolt would have a velocity when it's set free. After editing my equations, however, I still get a wrong result (two seconds later/earlier than it should be).
Here's what I did :
$$y_b(t)=-\frac{1}{2}g(t-2)^2+2w(t-2)+(l+2w)$$
$$e(t)=\frac{1}{2}wt^2$$
$$\begin{align*}
d(t)&=y_b(t)-e(t)\\
&=-\frac{1}{2}g(t^2-4t+4)-\frac{1}{2}wt^2+2wt+(-4w+l+2w)\\
&=-\frac{1}{2}gt^2+2gt-2g-\frac{1}{2}wt^2+2wt+(l-2w)\\
&=-\frac{1}{2}(g+w)t^2+2(g+w)t+(l-2w-2g)
\end{align*}$$
We have then :
$$\begin{align*}
\Delta &=4(g+w)^2+2(g+w)(l-2w-2g)\\
&=2(g+w)[2(g+w)+l-2w-2g]\\
&=2l(g+w)
\end{align*}$$
Finally :
$$\begin{align*}
t&=\frac{-2(g+w)\pm\sqrt{2l(g+w)}}{-(g+w)}\\
&=2\mp\sqrt{\frac{2l}{w+g}}
\end{align*}$$
Does someone know where I might have gone wrong?

archaic said:
Finally :
$$\begin{align*}
t&=\frac{-2(g+w)\pm\sqrt{2l(g+w)}}{-(g+w)}\\
&=2\mp\sqrt{\frac{2l}{w+g}}
\end{align*}$$
Does someone know where I might have gone wrong?
I don't seen anything wrong. You will need to choose the appropriate sign in front of the square root. Also, keep in mind that the bolt didn't start its free fall until t = 2 s.

Note that @Doc Al and @Michael Price have suggested ways to get to the answer with less symbolic manipulations. But it's nice to see that your way will get there.

Likes Michael Price
TSny said:
I don't seen anything wrong. You will need to choose the appropriate sign in front of the square root. Also, keep in mind that the bolt didn't start its free fall until t = 2 s.
That's the problem, neither plus nor minus gives the correct answer.
Yes, that's why I used ##(t-2)## in ##y_b(t)##.
TSny said:
Note that @Doc Al and @Michael Price have suggested ways to get to the answer with less symbolic manipulations. But it's nice to see that your way will get there.
I, in fact, know how to solve this. In the elevator's frame of reference :
$$-\frac{1}{2}(g+w)t^2+l=0\Leftrightarrow t=\pm\sqrt{\frac{2l}{g+w}}$$
I want to go about it using the ground's frame of reference. I want to see the error in my reasoning <-<

Likes Michael Price
If ##t_1## is the value of ##t## when the bolt starts free fall, and if ##t_2## is the value of ##t## when the bolt hits the floor of the elevator, how would you calculate the time that the bolt is in free fall?

TSny said:
If ##t_1## is the value of ##t## when the bolt starts free fall, and if ##t_2## is the value of ##t## when the bolt hits the floor of the elevator, how would you calculate the time that the bolt is in free fall?
I don't see why I'd have to use ##\Delta t##, isn't the equation set up to give the result directly?

archaic said:
I don't see why I'd have to use ##\Delta t##, isn't the equation set up to give the result directly?
No. From the way you set up the equations, using##(t-2)##, you are taking ##t## to represent the time the elevator has been ascending, not the time that the bolt has been in free fall.

@TSny my bad actually, I was thinking that I am trying to find the time at which the bolt makes contact with the floor.

TSny said:
No. From the way you set up the equations, using##(t-2)##, you are taking ##t## to represent the time the elevator has been ascending, not the time that the bolt has been in free fall.
Indeed, I should've chosen ##d(t)=y_b(t)-e(t+2)## instead. (without the ##t-2## in ##y_b(t)##)
Thank you for your help!

archaic said:
Indeed, I should've chosen ##d(t)=y_b(t)-e(t+2)## instead.
OK. But then you wouldn't have used ##(t-2)## in your expression for ##y_b(t)##. If you did it this way, then I think you are following @Doc Al 's suggestion.

TSny said:
OK. But then you wouldn't have used ##(t-2)## in your expression for ##y_b(t)##. If you did it this way, then I think you are following @Doc Al 's suggestion.
Yes of course, I have mentioned that in my last comment!

OK. Hopefully, now everything is good.

Likes archaic
TSny said:
OK. Hopefully, now everything is good.
It is, thank you!

archaic said:
I didn't take into account the fact that the bolt would have a velocity when it's set free. After editing my equations, however, I still get a wrong result (two seconds later/earlier than it should be).
Here's what I did :

yb(t)=−12g(t−2)2+2w(t−2)+(l+2w)​
This equation is dimensionally inconsistent!

hutchphd said:
If you're talking about the ##2w## then no, it is consistent, ##e(2)=\frac{1}{2}w(2)^2##

hutchphd said:
In the equation ##y_b(t)=−\frac{1}{2}g(t−2)^2+2w(t−2)+(l+2w)## the terms ##2w(t-2)## and ##2w## appear to have the wrong dimensions. @archaic has explained the term ##2w## where the ##2## carries units of s2 . The term ##2w(t-2)## is OK if you realize that both ##2##'s carry units of time.

This is a good illustration of confusion coming from not carrying all the units along.

Likes archaic

1. What is free fall time in an accelerating frame of reference?

Free fall time in an accelerating frame of reference refers to the amount of time it takes for an object to fall from a certain height in a frame of reference that is accelerating. This is different from free fall time in a stationary frame of reference, where there is no acceleration present.

2. How is free fall time in an accelerating frame of reference calculated?

The formula for calculating free fall time in an accelerating frame of reference is t = (2h/g)^1/2, where t is the time, h is the height, and g is the acceleration of the frame of reference. This formula assumes that the object starts and ends at rest, and that the acceleration is constant.

3. What is the difference between free fall time in an accelerating frame of reference and in a stationary frame of reference?

The main difference is that in an accelerating frame of reference, there is an additional acceleration acting on the object, which affects the time it takes to fall. In a stationary frame of reference, there is no acceleration present, so the only factor affecting the free fall time is the height of the object.

4. Can free fall time in an accelerating frame of reference be longer than free fall time in a stationary frame of reference?

Yes, it is possible for free fall time in an accelerating frame of reference to be longer than in a stationary frame of reference. This is because the acceleration in the accelerating frame of reference can either increase or decrease the time it takes for the object to fall, depending on the direction of the acceleration and the initial velocity of the object.

5. What are some real-life examples of free fall time in an accelerating frame of reference?

Some examples include an object falling from a moving vehicle, such as a skydiver jumping from a plane, or an object falling from a building during an earthquake. In both of these cases, the frame of reference (the vehicle or the building) is accelerating, which affects the free fall time of the object.