Calculate Free Fall Time for 10.0m w/ g=1/6 Earth's g

In summary: Why not? It depends on the actual version of the question but the most common version of the problem requires you to solve it in two phases, in the first phase the final velocity is the top of the window. That value is then used as the initial velocity for...The initial velocity is what is used to solve the equation for displacement.
Balsam

Homework Statement

Calculate the length of time it would take for an object to fall 10.0m if g were one sixth the value of Earth's g.

g=1/6(-9.8)= -1.633333333 m/s^2

a=-1.633333333m/s^2
displacement=10.0m[down]

Homework Equations

Maybe one of the big 5 kinematics equations? Or maybe a=change in velocity/time.

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't have enough variables to use any of the listed equations. This is because the question does not give any velocity values and I don't know how to solve for them. How would you do this problem. Note: According to my book, the correct answer is 3.5s.

Physics news on Phys.org
Balsam said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the length of time it would take for an object to fall 10.0m if g were one sixth the value of Earth's g.

g=1/6(-9.8)= -1.633333333 m/s^2

a=-1.633333333m/s^2
displacement=10.0m[down]

Homework Equations

Maybe one of the big 5 kinematics equations? Or maybe a=change in velocity/time.

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't have enough variables to use any of the listed equations. This is because the question does not give any velocity values and I don't know how to solve for them. How would you do this problem. Note: According to my book, the correct answer is 3.5s.

The object falls - it means its initial velocity is zero. What relation exist between constant acceleration, time, and displacement?

ehild said:
The object falls - it means its initial velocity is zero. What relation exist between constant acceleration, time, and displacement?
I'm not sure. what do you mean?

Balsam said:
I'm not sure. what do you mean?
Knowing that the initial velocity is zero, which one of the five SUVAT equations relates constant acceleration, time, distance, and initial velocity?

Scan the list of these equations and use a process of elimination to narrow your choices to the correct equation.

SteamKing said:
Knowing that the initial velocity is zero, which one of the five SUVAT equations relates constant acceleration, time, distance, and initial velocity?

Scan the list of these equations and use a process of elimination to narrow your choices to the correct equation.
Don't objects have a non-zero initial velocity when dropped?

Balsam said:
Don't objects have a non-zero initial velocity when dropped?
The problem meant that the object was hold and then released and let to fall. What is the initial velocity?

Last edited:
ehild said:
The problem meant that the object was hold and then released and let to fall. What is the initial velocity?

I thought that the initial velocity meant the velocity right after the motion began, just like final velocity is the velocity right before motion ends, not the velocity when the motion is over and the object is at rest.

The "final Velocity" isn't always the Velocity just before the object stops moving. It depends on the problem. For example there is a common problem that involves an object falling past a window - after passing the window it keeps falling. When ,you break the problem down the final Velocity you plug into one of the suvat equations is typically the Velocity as it passes the bottom of the window.

The initial velocity when an object is dropped is usually zero but there are situations where it isn't. For example when it's dropped from a helicopter that is ascending or descending.

CWatters said:
The "final Velocity" isn't always the Velocity just before the object stops moving. It depends on the problem. For example there is a common problem that involves an object falling past a window - after passing the window it keeps falling. When ,you break the problem down the final Velocity you plug into one of the suvat equations is typically the Velocity as it passes the bottom of the window.

The initial velocity when an object is dropped is usually zero but there are situations where it isn't. For example when it's dropped from a helicopter that is ascending or descending.

Why is the final velocity in the window problem the velocity as it passes the bottom of the window?

Balsam said:
I thought that the initial velocity meant the velocity right after the motion began,
What is the velocity of the object right after the accelerating motion began if it was in rest before? You keep a pebble in your hand. What is the velocity of the pebble? Then you open your hand and let the pebble fall out. What is the velocity of the pebble at the instant when you release it?
"Initial" and "final" are defined by the problem. If you observe a pot falling in front of a window, you observe it from the room during the time it moves from the top of the window down the bottom.

Balsam said:
Why is the final velocity in the window problem the velocity as it passes the bottom of the window?

Why not? It depends on the actual version of the question but the most common version of the problem requires you to solve it in two phases, in the first phase the final velocity is the top of the window. That value is then used as the initial velocity for the second phase of the solution. In the second phase it seems reasonable to label the velocity at the bottom of the window the final velocity although you can solve the problem without calculating it.

Related to Calculate Free Fall Time for 10.0m w/ g=1/6 Earth's g

1. What is free fall time?

Free fall time refers to the amount of time it takes for an object to fall from a certain height, under the influence of gravitational acceleration.

2. How is free fall time calculated?

Free fall time can be calculated using the formula t = √(2h/g), where t is the time in seconds, h is the height in meters, and g is the gravitational acceleration in m/s^2.

3. Why is the value of g different for this calculation?

The value of g used in this calculation is 1/6 of Earth's gravitational acceleration because it is referring to a hypothetical scenario where the gravitational pull is only one-sixth of what it is on Earth's surface. This could be the case on a different planet or celestial body.

4. What is the unit of measurement for free fall time?

The unit of measurement for free fall time is seconds (s).

5. Can free fall time be affected by other factors?

Yes, free fall time can be affected by factors such as air resistance, altitude, and the shape and mass of the falling object. These factors may cause slight variations in the calculated time, but the formula used assumes a perfect free fall scenario.