Falling on a Planet with No Atmosphere: Observing a Thrown Ball

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of free-falling towards Earth or a planet with no atmosphere and throwing a ball above oneself. From the point of view of the person falling, the ball would appear to keep going away until it hits the ground. The conversation also delves into the effects of gravity, aerodynamics, and magnetism in this scenario. It is concluded that in a simplified setting, the ball would keep going away from the falling person due to constant negative acceleration of gravity. However, aerodynamics and magnetism do not apply in this situation.
cragar
If I am in free-fall towards Earth or in this case let's use a planet with no atmosphere to get rid of air drag. So I am in free-fall and then I throw a ball up above me. From my point of view the ball would appear to keep going away from me until i hit the ground. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
cragar said:
If I am in free-fall towards Earth or in this case let's use a planet with no atmosphere to get rid of air drag. So I am in free-fall and then I throw a ball up above me. From my point of view the ball would appear to keep going away from me until i hit the ground. Is this correct?

At that moment, of course it would.
What's your point?

Im just making sure that from my point of view , it would always look as if it were going away from me .

I think it depends if the ball weigh more than you, and then you have to take aerodynamicability into account...

But saying basketball, tennis ball, etc... light ball objects, then yes...I'd reckon this would be the case.

Dory said:
I think it depends if the ball weigh more than you, and then you have to take aerodynamicability into account...

That would be good thinking under normal circumstances, but Cragar did specify that there is no atmosphere.

Danger said:
That would be good thinking under normal circumstances, but Cragar did specify that there is no atmosphere.

Yea, but there's still gravity.

Dory said:

Correct. Aerodynamics, however, doesn't apply when there is no aer for the thing to be dynamic with.

edit: I originally, for reasons based upon excessive Scotch, treated "Aerodynamics" as a plural and thus followed it with "don't apply". How wretchedly embarrassing. :redface:
Anyhow... my friends will forgive me, 99.7% of you don't give a **** because you don't know me, and the remainder hiding in the trees can consider themselves invited to emerge and bite me.

Okay, now... I meant the first 2 sentences of my edit, up to the ":redface:". As I mentioned to another member earlier this evening, I used to be a pro writer. Since going onto the meds for my ADD about 10 years ago, I haven't been able to write a damned thing. For some reason, a touch of creativity crept in while I was doing my edit, and it was weird. I'm leaving it up, with this explanation, rather than delete it. I want to assure everyone that there is no animosity intended toward anyone... it's just something that my fingers did when my brain wasn't paying attention.
Cheers to all;
Dan

Last edited:
cragar said:

You write 'would appear to keep going away from me'.

An occupational hazard of being a physicist is that the word 'apparent' is used with more gravity than in everyday language. When a physicist says 'apparent' he means that looks are deceptive.

You write 'the ball would appear to keep going away from me', but to a physicist the word 'appear' makes the statement fuzzy. A sharper formulation is: 'the ball would keep going away from me'.

Indeed the ball would keep going away from you.

For the most simplified setting I take you falling straight down, no orbiting motion involved, and the height so small that tidal effects are negligable. Then acceleration and velocity are independent. If the two of you are co-accelerating then the distance between you and the ball remains the same, add a velocity of the ball relative to you and the distance between the ball and you keeps increasing.

Dory said:

...and it's a constant negative acceleration so, regardless of the initial velocity conditions (as long as v_ball != v_person) they will always maintain the same velocity difference after the balls leaves hand, which will be a positive value, meaning that they're going away from each other, regardless of the planet's frame.

Danger said:
Correct. Aerodynamics, however, don't apply when there is no aer for the thing to be dynamic with.

I imagine there has to be some gases floating around in any planet. Or we're talking simply purely gravity from a hypothetical PoV?

Also, don't gravity take magnetism into account? So a ball made of a metallic substance would be drawn more towards the gravitational pull.

Dory said:
I imagine there has to be some gases floating around in any planet. Or we're talking simply purely gravity from a hypothetical PoV?

Also, don't gravity take magnetism into account? So a ball made of a metallic substance would be drawn more towards the gravitational pull.

hypothetical, of course. And no, gravity and magnetism are independent phenomena.

I see.

Related to Falling on a Planet with No Atmosphere: Observing a Thrown Ball

What is the force responsible for an object falling on a planet with no atmosphere?

The force responsible for an object falling on a planet with no atmosphere is gravity. This force is what pulls all objects towards the center of the planet.

How does the absence of an atmosphere affect the trajectory of a thrown ball?

Without an atmosphere to provide air resistance, a thrown ball on a planet with no atmosphere will follow a straight path until it reaches the ground. This means that it will not curve or slow down as it would on a planet with an atmosphere.

How does the mass of the planet affect the acceleration of a falling object?

The mass of the planet does not affect the acceleration of a falling object. According to the universal law of gravitation, the acceleration due to gravity is only dependent on the mass of the planet and the distance between the object and the planet's center.

What factors influence the speed at which a thrown ball falls on a planet with no atmosphere?

The speed at which a thrown ball falls on a planet with no atmosphere is influenced by the initial velocity of the ball, the mass of the planet, and the distance between the object and the planet's center. These factors all contribute to the acceleration due to gravity.

How would the observation of a thrown ball on a planet with no atmosphere differ from that on Earth?

The observation of a thrown ball on a planet with no atmosphere would differ from that on Earth in several ways. There would be no air resistance, so the ball would not slow down or change direction as it falls. The ball would also fall at a constant speed, as opposed to accelerating due to the Earth's atmosphere. Additionally, the ball would not bounce as high as it would on Earth due to the lack of air resistance to slow it down.