1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Insights Frenet Equations in 2-d Which Result in the Cornu Spiral - Comment

1. Feb 6, 2017 #1

Charles Link

Homework Helper

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Very nice! The German Wiki page says, that the Cornu spiral is widely used in road and rail track constructions and even for roller coasters.

"The Cornu spiral first has been used by Leopold Oerley in 1937 as geometric element of road construction. Since 1938 the engineer Hans Lorenz used it consequently in the planning for the autobahn Vienna - Brno - Wroclaw. 1954 the Cornu spiral has been made available to engineers in general in a comprehensive book with mathematical tables for track planning (Kasper, Schürba, Lorenz: Die Klotoide als Trassierungselement)."

I had to think about this as I read your considerations on speed and acceleration, which obviously has some very direct applications for earth bound moving objects. All of a sudden the theory became alive.

4. Feb 7, 2017 #3

Charles Link

Homework Helper

@fresh_42 You might find it of interest, I messaged this calculation of the Cornu Spiral to @micromass sometime around September 2016, and he included it as part of his October mathematics challenge (problem #1). @mfb solved it very quickly so I don't know how many others took the time to look it over. :) :)

5. Feb 8, 2017 #4
    Great Insight Charles!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted