11d Gravity From Just the Torsion Constraint - Comments

In summary: SUSY-transformation rules of the vector field do not follow from the gauging (one can gauge the R-symmetry group, but that's a different cookie).I'm not sure what you're getting at here. What are the SUSY-transformation rules of the vector field?
Urs Schreiber
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Urs Schreiber submitted a new PF Insights post

11d Gravity From Just the Torsion Constraint

11dgravity.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Likes atyy, dextercioby and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
You mention the gauging of the Lorentz symmetries. In four dimensions you can obtain N=1 SUGRA by gauging the full super-Poincaré group, including local translations, LT's and supertransformations. In order to remove the local translations from your algebra you need to set the torsion (which is the field strength of translations) to zero. This is called a conventional constraint, because it enables one to solve for the spin connection. The same can be done in four dimensions for N=1 super-AdS, the Bargmann algebra, the N=2 super Bargmann algebra etc.

For the N=1, D=11 case this gauging does not work because the graviton-multiplet also contains the 3-form which is not a gauge field of the corresponding algebra (but maybe of some corresponding higher-spin algebra?), but maybe this adds something to your article.

Likes atyy, Greg Bernhardt and Urs Schreiber
haushofer said:
For the N=1, D=11 case this gauging does not work because the graviton-multiplet also contains the 3-form which is not a gauge field of the corresponding algebra (but maybe of some corresponding higher-spin algebra?)

Yes, the 3-form in 11d sugra is seen by the "supergravity Lie 3-algebra" extension of the 11d super-symmetry algebra, that I had talked about a bit in Part 2 "Homotopy Lie-n algebras in Supergravity" of the series. It was first recognized in its dual incarnation (as a "CIS" later also called "FDA" ) in
  • Riccardo D'Auria, Pietro Fré, "Geometric Supergravity in D=11 and its hidden supergroup", Nuclear Physics B201 (1982) 101-140 (pdf)
where they use it to give an elegant re-derivation of the action of 11d SuGra. (It starts appearing with equation (3.15d) in that article).

But I haven't thought about whether this allows to do the analogous gauging procedure that you mention for 4d SuGra. It seems like it should. I'd have to think about it. That's a good point.

Likes atyy and Greg Bernhardt
Afaik one can only obtain certain SUGRA's (the fields, transformations and curvatures) via gauging for special cases. E.g. for N=2, D=4 the graviton-multiplet contains the graviton, gravitino and vector field, but the SUSY-transformation rules of the vector field do not follow from the gauging (one can gauge the R-symmetry group, but that's a different cookie).

Thanks for those links. I just scanned through the paper by de Azcarraga,

https://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0406020

which indeed suggests that the 11D case can be obtained by a gauging procedure. However, this three-form is a composite field, so is this three-form equivalent to the original one? (regarding degrees of freedom, susy-transformations etc.)

It would be interesting to see if such an analysis would be possible for the D=4, N=2 case.

Likes Urs Schreiber
haushofer said:
However, this three-form is a composite field, so is this three-form equivalent to the original one? (regarding degrees of freedom, susy-transformations etc.)

I once made some tentative notes on precisely this question here:

11d SuGra from higher to exceptional geometry
(web, https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12630719/HigherToExceptional.pdf ).

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes haushofer and dextercioby
I'm not used to the mathematical treatment you're using in your notes, so it takes some effort for me to get to the punchline. Is the gauge treatment exactly equivalent to the usual D=11 sugra, or are there additional constraints on the three-form?

haushofer said:
I'm not used to the mathematical treatment you're using in your notes, so it takes some effort for me to get to the punchline. Is the gauge treatment exactly equivalent to the usual D=11 sugra, or are there additional constraints on the three-form?

There are no additional constraints, on the contrary the "gauge treatment" overparameterizes the 3-forms. That's hidden in corollary 2.2 of the writeup, which observes that locally every 3-form arises from the "gauge treatment", in direct analogy to how generalized gemetry allows to parameterize 2-forms.

So there is more degrees of freedom in the "gauge treatment", not less. The punchline of my note is to observe that this additional freedom is encoded by sections of the "exceptional tangent bundle" as originally proposed by Hull: the bosonic body of that "hidden supersymmetry algebra" of D'Auria-Fre and followups is in fact the M-theoretic exceptional tangent bundle of 11d super-Minkowski spacetime. The note means to point out that the "gauge treatment" comes down to proposing that the 3-form is always to be pulled back via a section of this exceptional tangent bundle, via a canonical 3-form carried by it.

So the evident conjecture is that the "gauge treatment" is part of a solution to the problem as to the nature of the "hidden microscopic degrees of freedom" that are expected to be present in M-theory, given that they do appear as U-duality groups after high codimension compactifications.

Likes haushofer
I see. But here the link between the D=11 SUGRA and M-theory is clear. It's not clear at all if something similar can be done for other SUGRA's or what to expect. It's linked to the question whether every SUGRA can be obtained from some string theory by compactification and taking the low energy limit.

The reason why I bring this up is because a while ago I tried to construct the D=4, N=2 supergravity version of Newton-Cartan, which, as in the relativistic case, cannot be obtained directly from a gauging of the underlying superalgebra. For the D=3, N=2 theory however this was possible. It would simplify life greatly if every SUGRA theory could be obtained in such a way by extended the underlying superalgebra similar to your notes :P

haushofer said:
The reason why I bring this up is because a while ago I tried to construct the D=4, N=2 supergravity version of Newton-Cartan, which, as in the relativistic case, cannot be obtained directly from a gauging of the underlying superalgebra. For the D=3, N=2 theory however this was possible. It would simplify life greatly if every SUGRA theory could be obtained in such a way by extended the underlying superalgebra similar to your notes :P

I don't know, but it does remind me of the following: on the level of just the Green-Schwarz sigma models for the branes then the pair of dimensions 11/10 appears in a pattern with the pair of dimensions 4/3, in that the "brane scan" sees a membrane/string pair in either case, see for instance Duff's original diagram here. This might indicate that the situation with 11d sugra that we just discussed has its counterpart in 4d. This would be really interesting.

Why is the vanishing torsion (the invariance of the infinitesimal translation of the vielbein field up to the contribution from a Lorentz gauge transformation) a manifestation of the principle of equivalence? I have long understood that the vanishing curvature means the parallel transport is path independent, but keep wondering what's the physical interpretation of the vanishing torsion. Now I see this article says the vanishing torsion means the principle of equivalence; but how to see this? Further, if the vanishing torsion really means the equivalence principle, then isn't it the case that the teleparallel theory violates the equivalence principle?

EnigmaticField said:
Why is the vanishing torsion a manifestation of the principle of equivalence?

By Guillemin's theorem, which I mentioned, vanishing torsion is equivalently the property that the spacetime looks like flat Minkowski spacetime to first order around every point. This immediately implies that locally to first order, the free fall of any particle in a field of gravity is inertial motion in Minkowski spacetime.

One may think of this statement as a more conceptual version of the maybe more familiar computational statement that around every point there exist Riemann normal coordinates in terms of which the Levi-Civita connection (i.e. the unique torsion-free metric connection) vanishes at that point.

haushofer said:

Let me come back to this. I still don't know the answer, but it did occur to me that there ought to be a formulation of ##N=2## ##D=4## sugra that more directly reflects the formulation of 11d sugra for which D'Auria-Fre and followups found the "secret gauging" that we talked about. And indeed it does, as also found by D'Auria and collaborators:

• Laura Andrianopoli, Riccardo D'Auria, Luca Sommovigo, "##D=4##, ##N=2## Supergravity in the Presence of Vector-Tensor Multiplets and the Role of higher ##p##-forms in the Framework of Free Differential Algebras", Adv.Stud.Theor.Phys.1:561-596,2008 (arXiv:0710.3107)
Using this, they give a re-derivation of ##N=2##, ##D=4## sugra (in the generality of massive twists, see also the introduction of Gunyadin-McReynolds-Zagerman 05) directly paralleling their earlier re-derivation of ##D=11## sugra. So this is the necessary first step for finding the 4d analog of that "secret gauging" that we discussed.

I have made a quick note with more detailed pointers to the references on the nLab at 4d supergravity Lie 2-algebra

Likes haushofer
It will take some time for me to read your reference, especially since I have my PhD defence this Friday, but just a conceptual question which pops up in my mind: what's the status of the equivalence principle then in SUGRA, where torsion is generated by a bi-spinor? If you locally try to make spacetime flat by moving inertially, you can still have spinor contributions to the geometry.

haushofer said:
what's the status of the equivalence principle then in SUGRA, where torsion is generated by a bi-spinor? If you locally try to make spacetime flat by moving inertially, you can still have spinor contributions to the geometry.

Yes, in supergravity there will always be non-vanishing super-component of the torsion. However, as discussed in the entry, for bosonic solutions in 11d supergravity it is the proper super-torsion that vanishes, and we are back to the situation that around every point to first order, spacetime looks like super-Minkowski spacetime. We still have the principle of equivalence then: setting the fermionic coordinates to zero, the situation is that of ordinary vanishing torsion, and the rheonomy principle then says that such ordinary bosonic solutions uniquely extend to superspace.

haushofer said:
I have my PhD defence this Friday

All my best wishes!

You mean because supersymmetric backgrounds necessarily have vanishing fermionic vev's?

Thanks, I'll let the forum know whether I survived :P

haushofer said:
You mean because supersymmetric backgrounds necessarily have vanishing fermionic vev's?

So I was referring to "backgrounds with vanishing fermionic vev's" if you wish, yes. Whether they are supersymmetric or not (have Killing spinors or not) is not relevant for the particular statement I made, but of course these are examples, yes.

1. What is the significance of the torsion constraint in 11-dimensional gravity?

The torsion constraint in 11-dimensional gravity is a mathematical condition that describes the relationship between the curvature and torsion of spacetime. It is a fundamental principle in the theory of gravity and plays a crucial role in understanding the dynamics of the universe.

2. How does the torsion constraint impact our understanding of gravity in 11 dimensions?

The torsion constraint allows us to formulate a consistent theory of gravity in 11 dimensions, which is essential for a comprehensive understanding of the universe. It also provides insights into the behavior of spacetime and its interactions with matter and energy.

3. What is the evidence for 11-dimensional gravity?

While there is no direct experimental evidence for 11-dimensional gravity, it is supported by several theoretical frameworks, such as string theory and M-theory. These theories propose that our universe has more than the three dimensions we can perceive, and 11-dimensional gravity helps to reconcile these ideas.

4. Can the torsion constraint be tested or observed?

As of now, there is no experimental method to directly test or observe the torsion constraint. However, some studies have suggested that certain astrophysical phenomena, such as primordial gravitational waves, could provide indirect evidence for the existence of torsion in the universe.

5. What are the potential implications of 11-dimensional gravity?

If 11-dimensional gravity is proven to be true, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It could help us solve some of the long-standing mysteries in physics, such as the unification of all forces and the origins of the universe. It could also lead to new technologies and applications, such as advanced space propulsion systems and quantum computers.