Frequency and other properties from E-field

In summary, a plane, harmonic, linearly polarized light wave with an electric field intensity of {E}_z = {E}_0 cos pi*10^{15}*(t - x/.65c) is traveling in a piece of glass. The frequency of the light is 10^15 Hz, the wavelength is 0.6 times the speed of light, and the index of refraction of the glass is not provided. The argument of the cosine function is in the form of (kx-wt) with w=-1, giving a frequency of 1/2pi. The velocity of the wave can be found using the formula w^{2}/k^{2} = v, but this gives a value
Breedlove

Homework Statement

A plane, harmonic, linearly polarized light wave has an electric field intensity given by
[tex]{E}_z[/tex] = [tex]{E}_0[/tex] cos pi*[tex]10^{15}[/tex]*(t - x/.65c)

while traveling in a piece of glass. Find
(a) The frequency of the light.
(b) Its wavelength.
(c) The index of refraction of the glass.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm still confused about the argument of the cosine, but I assume that what was within the parenthesis was the real argument. Under this assumption, it fits the form (kx-wt) with some tweaking. The angular frequency w will give me the frequency. I'm pretty sure I need the velocity in order to get the wavelength, and am unsure as to how to find it. Once I get the velocity it will be easy to find the index of refraction.

The problems I ran into:
w=-1 in this case, and so 1/2pi gives me the frequency.
finding velocity of the wave: I used [tex]w^{2}[/tex]/[tex]k^{2}[/tex] = v, however this gives me a value much larger than the speed of light.

Should I just distribute the stuff before the argument? I've never seen a cosine like that. I think that it would be better if it was cos(pi*10^15*(t-x/.65c)) and am confused as to why they didn't do that if that is really what they meant.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a 2 in front of th e"pi" in the formula?

The wave is in the form
[tex]E_z=E_0 cos(\omega t -kx) =E_0 cos(2\pi f t -\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}x) = [/tex]
[tex]=E_0 \cos2\pi f ( t -\frac{x}{v}) [/tex]
where I used
[tex]\omega=2\pi f, k=\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}, \lambda=c/f[/tex]
So v=0.6 c, f=10^15 Hz

Last edited:
nasu said:

Nope, it's just pi. Thank you so much! I didn't know what k equaled. Thanksthanksthanks.

Then 2f =10^15.

nasu said:

The wave is in the form
[tex]E_z=E_0 cos(\omega t -kx) =E_0 cos(2\pi f t -\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}x) = [/tex]
[tex]=E_0 \cos2\pi f ( t -\frac{x}{v}) [/tex]
where I used
[tex]\omega=2\pi f, k=\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}, \lambda=c/f[/tex]
So v=0.6 c, f=10^15 Hz

Please do not post solutions to homework questions.

Sorry if I posted more that I was supposed to.
I am aware that the forum policy requires that the poster shows some work and ideas.
I considered that in this case he showed some start and he is only confused about the math manipulation of the formula.
I'll be more careful in the future.

What is K and lambda, can anyone explain please

1. What is frequency and how is it related to the electric field?

Frequency is the number of complete cycles of a wave that occur in one second. In the context of electric fields, frequency is directly related to the oscillation of the electric field. A higher frequency means that the electric field is oscillating more rapidly, while a lower frequency indicates a slower oscillation.

2. How is the frequency of an electric field measured?

The frequency of an electric field can be measured using a frequency meter or frequency counter. These devices measure the number of cycles of the electric field that occur in one second and display it as the frequency in Hertz (Hz).

3. What other properties can be determined from the electric field?

Apart from frequency, the electric field also has other important properties such as amplitude, wavelength, and phase. The amplitude of the electric field represents its maximum value, while the wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of the electric field. Phase refers to the position of the electric field at a specific point in time.

4. How does the frequency of an electric field affect its behavior?

The frequency of an electric field has a significant impact on its behavior. Higher frequency electric fields have more energy and can penetrate materials more easily, whereas lower frequency electric fields have less energy and are more easily blocked by materials. Frequency also determines the type of electromagnetic radiation, such as radio waves, microwaves, or visible light.

5. Can frequency be changed or controlled in an electric field?

Yes, the frequency of an electric field can be changed or controlled using various methods such as changing the source of the electric field, altering the properties of the medium through which the electric field is passing, or manipulating the electric field using specialized equipment such as antennas or modulators.