Frequency of Pendulum on Moon: 1.18 Hz

  • Thread starter Thread starter Punchlinegirl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Moon Pendulum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 14K views
Punchlinegirl
Messages
221
Reaction score
0
A pendulum consists of a mass m = 0.070 kg hanging from a flexible string of length L. The string is very thin, very light, and doesn't stretch much. It makes small oscillations, with a period of 0.704 s. Find the oscillation frequency of the pendulum. Neglect any air resistance.
I got this part ok.. the answer was 1.42 Hz.
The next part says.. Find the period of the same pendulum on the moon's surface. The gravitational acceleration of the moon is 1.67 m/s^2.
I used the equation
[tex]T= 2\pi \sqrt L/g[/tex]
[tex].704 = 2\pi \sqrt L/9.8[/tex]
Solving for L gave me 12.1 m
I then used this equation for the period on the moon
[tex]T= 2\pi \sqrt 12.1/1.67[/tex]
T= 16.9 s, which wasn't right.
Can someone help? Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The length is wrong.
I get about 12.3 cm

Remember, the g-value is under the square-root sign