Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Insights Frequently Made Errors in Equation Handling - Comments

1. May 13, 2015 #1

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Regarding 5 and 6, dimensions and units, early physics education may have to take a lot of blame, at least from what I remember from my high-school textbooks. Several problems were formulated using text such as "Let the wheel mass be ##m## kg and its radius ##R## m" (but in Swedish), in this case making ##m## and ##R## dimensionless quantities. Later, students have problems with dimensional analysis as well as units ... No wonder.

4. May 13, 2015 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, I had the same thought. I'll add a comment on that, thanks.

5. May 13, 2015 #4
    Well done haruspex!

6. May 14, 2015 #5
    Simple but very useful tips for avoiding silly errors. Nice one!

7. May 14, 2015 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I give partial credit only until the numbers go in, and encourage my colleagues to do the same. If someone writes a+sqrt(b/2) when they mean a+sqrt(b)/2, there is a good chance I can figure this out. If they write 9.54317265 when they mean 4.5112121, I'll never figure it out.

And also be annoyed by the likely extraneous precision.

8. May 15, 2015 #7

Philip Wood

Gold Member

"One does sometimes come across questions like “A block has mass m kg…”. In this case, the variable m is a dimensionless number. This isn’t actually wrong, but it is poor style and not to be emulated."

I entirely agree. One problem we're up against, in the UK at least, is that in mathematics students are taught to represent quantities as pure numbers. So "A block has mass m kg" is just the sort of wording they meet in mathematics classes, textbooks and exams. Students have to use one convention in Maths and another in Physics; I'm surprised they cope as well as they do.

I'm so keen on the convention of representing a physical quantity as the product of a number and a unit, that I urge students to put in the number with its unit as soon as they replace an algebraic symbol by a given value, just as haruspex recommends in 6 (above)…

"Conversely, when working numerically, units should, in principle, always be included:
    Average speed = 120 km / 3 h = 40 km/h"

In more complicated cases, simplifying the units to get a unit for the final answer is an excellent exercise in itself, as well as often providing useful check on preceding algebra.

9. May 15, 2015 #8

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If m and R are left as m and R rather than giving them numbers, I don't see how that makes m and R dimensionless. Did you mean m adn R to be numbers?

10. May 15, 2015 #9

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This post is of great importance to anyone not already cognizant of its importance.
    Dimensions get even more important when uncommon functions are concerned.
    For example: in Laplace transforms we correctly have δ(t) ↔ 1, but then if we're dealing in voltages we say a 1 volt-sec. delta function = 1δ(t). But this is wrong. A 1 V-sec. input voltage should be written as kδ(t), k = 1 V-sec.
    Similar observation applies in mechanical dynamics, etc. of course.

11. May 15, 2015 #10

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes! That's why I disregard homework questions like "where is my mistake?" unless numbers are avoided 'till the end.

12. May 15, 2015 #11

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since they explicitly say ##m## kg, ##m## has to be a dimensionless. If ##m## has dimension mass, e.g., ##m = 1## kg, then the mass would have dimension mass squared, which is nonsense as replacing ##m## in the statement with 1 kg would imply "has the mass 1 kg kg".

13. May 17, 2015 #12

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

One pet peeve of mine related to #4 is when students use two variables, like m and M, to represent the same quantity.

14. May 17, 2015 #13

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I have a textbook that uses h for two different things. h is a quantum number (h, j, and k) and also Plack's constant.

15. May 19, 2015 #14

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Great post, haruspex! A large number of homework problems could be solved without help if everyone would follow those points.

Writing letters in a different font totally makes them different.

16. May 19, 2015 #15

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is so true! Obviously ##\mathcal L## is different from ##L##. One is a Lagrangian and one is a fixed length.

17. May 20, 2015 #16

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Completely true, but problematic in the digital world where rendering of text might mangle the formatting (such as losing the distinction between D and Δ.) Obviously, science and math written traditions originate in the eras of handwriting. Rendering in the digital age is a problem we created, but have not yet adequately solved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted