1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Insights Frequently Made Errors in Mechanics - Moments - Comments

1. May 10, 2015 #1

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2015 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Nice post, Haruspex. I'll have to come back to this when I start my physics and mechanics classes.

4. May 10, 2015 #3
    Nice work haruspex!

5. Jul 30, 2015 #4

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Having read this, my future calcs involving torques and moments of inertia will be much faster and easier.

6. Jun 15, 2016 #5
    Nice article. I just want to add some comment on the equation of momentum for rigid body and on some very frequent errors that arise in this regard.
    The equation of momentum is
    $$J_A\dot{\boldsymbol \omega}+\boldsymbol\omega\times J_A\boldsymbol\omega=\boldsymbol M_A.\qquad (*)$$ Here ##J_A,\boldsymbol\omega## are the operator of inertia about the point ##A## and the angular velocity of the rigid body respectively; ##\boldsymbol M_A## is the torque about the point ##A## applied to the rigid body.

But what is the point ##A##? If ##A## is a stationary point of the rigid body or its center of mass then equation (*) is correct.
    In general, it is incorrect to use formula (*) for ##A## to be instantaneous centre of rotation; it is incorrect even for planar problems.

Another frequent error is concerned to the term ##\boldsymbol\omega\times J_A\boldsymbol\omega##. This term is equal to zero identically in planar problems. But one can not forget it in essentially 3D problems.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  7. Jun 15, 2016 #6

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

One should also note that the tensor of inertia, ##J_A##, must refer to the body-fixed point ##A##.

8. Jun 29, 2016 #7
    sure

accidentally I came across an article
    https://www.jstor.org/stable/2973359?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
    perhaps It should be noted about a general formula. Let a point ##A## be any point of the rigid body. Then
    $$J_A\dot{\boldsymbol\omega}+\boldsymbol\omega\times J_A\boldsymbol\omega+m\boldsymbol{AS}\times \boldsymbol a_A=\boldsymbol M_A;$$
    where ##S## is the center of mass, ##m## is the mass of the rigid body, ##\boldsymbol a_A## is the acceleration of the point ##A##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted