1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Insights Frequently Made Errors in Mechanics - Friction - Comments

1. May 8, 2015 #1

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2015 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

With regards to the work done by forces,
    I often hear blanket statements like
    "friction always does negative work" and "normal force always does zero work".

4. May 9, 2015 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes.. the one about the normal force belongs in the "Forces" post. Unfortunately, my permission to edit it seems to have been taken away again. I'm forming the impression that a blog system (where an item is published and becomes cast in stone, only modifiable by a comment chain) is not suitable for what I thought this was about. It doesn't make a for usable reference text.

5. May 9, 2015 #4
    If a disk slides on a rough surface, then friction will make the disk roll right? Because its the only force that can create a torque. Am I correct?

6. May 9, 2015 #5

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

A wrench can produce torque without friction. So can an electric motor. Or tidal gravity. Or a windmill [where, to be clear, it can be the "lift" that is producing torque and the "drag" is not essential].

7. May 10, 2015 #6
    I was talking about one particular case. Also, If the wrench was frictionless, It will simply slide instead of rotating the object right?

8. May 10, 2015 #7

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Most wrenches (box end, open end, adjustable, socket, etc) push on the faces of hexagonal and square nuts and bolts at a position offset from the center of the face. Friction is unimportant to their use.

Edit: Hard to hold them without friction, of course. Though not completely impossible.

9. May 10, 2015 #8
    Understood. If the bolt was circular, then friction will be important right?
    Also, for a ring, if a force is applied tangentially at its topmost point, then no friction is required to make it roll. And this true only for a ring.
    Force equation:
    $$F=ma$$
    Torque eqation:
    $$FR-fR=MR^2\alpha$$
    $$F-f=MR\alpha$$
    And for pure rolling, ##R\alpha=a##
    So $$F-f=Ma$$
    Since F=Ma, f=0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted