Fresnel reflection coefficient for Second Harmonic Generation (SHG)

In summary: Thanks for getting back to me.Yeesh... rough paper. Looks like the derivation is in Appendix A. Thanks for getting back to me.
Jose Antonio
Hello everyone, this is my first post so I don't know whether or not this is the right thread to be asking this question (if so I am sorry). I am currently working on my thesis where I am determining the thickness of a GaN crystal through second harmonic generation. However in a article published by J. Jerphagnon and S. K. Kurtz, they defined a Fresnel-like transmission coefficient for the second harmonic signal as:

Screenshot_from_2016_09_01_10_36_54.png

I was wondering if anyone knew a source of how to get this result. I am intrigued on why this transmission coefficient is not the absolute value squared (since it is a capital T) since one could be considering the complex form of the refractive indices. Thanks in advance for any response!

Science news on Phys.org
Jose Antonio said:
However in a article published by J. Jerphagnon and S. K. Kurtz,

Could you please post a proper citation for the above? Thanks in advance.

I do understand that both transmission and reflection coefficients do somehow need to include both refractive indices at frequencies ω and 2ω, since the bound and free waves have different refractive indices and the solution of the inhomogeneous solution is the sum of the homogeneous solution (free wave) and particular solution (bound wave), however I can't seem to find any source where this result is deduced (and I certainly do can't find a way to find it myself).

Last edited:
Jose Antonio said:
I do understand that both transmission and reflection coefficients do somehow need to include both refractive indices at frequencies ω and 2ω, since the bound and free waves have different refractive indices and the solution of the inhomogeneous solution is the sum of the homogeneous solution (free wave) and particular solution (bound wave), however I can't seem to find any source where this result is deduced (and I certainly do can't find a way to find it myself).

Yeesh... rough paper. Looks like the derivation is in Appendix A.

What is the Fresnel reflection coefficient for SHG?

The Fresnel reflection coefficient for SHG is a measure of the amount of light that reflects off the surface of a material when a second harmonic wave is incident on it. It takes into account the refractive indices of the material and the incident and reflected waves.

How is the Fresnel reflection coefficient for SHG calculated?

The Fresnel reflection coefficient for SHG is calculated using the Fresnel equations, which take into account the incident angle, polarization, and refractive indices of the material. The equations are complex and may require specialized software or calculations to determine the coefficient.

Why is the Fresnel reflection coefficient important in SHG?

The Fresnel reflection coefficient is important in SHG because it determines the efficiency of the conversion of the incident fundamental wave into the second harmonic wave. A higher coefficient means more of the incident light is reflected, resulting in lower SHG efficiency.

What factors can affect the Fresnel reflection coefficient for SHG?

The Fresnel reflection coefficient for SHG can be affected by several factors, including the incident angle, polarization of the incident wave, and the refractive indices of the material. Additionally, surface roughness and other imperfections can also affect the coefficient.

How can the Fresnel reflection coefficient be optimized for SHG?

The Fresnel reflection coefficient for SHG can be optimized by using materials with higher refractive indices, adjusting the incident angle and polarization, and minimizing surface imperfections. Additionally, using anti-reflective coatings or other techniques can help reduce the coefficient and improve SHG efficiency.