Friction and constant velocity

In summary, the coefficient of kinetic friction can be found by dividing the applied force by the normal force, which in this case is equal to 0.255 or 0.26. The mention of constant velocity does not affect the calculation of friction, as it only means that the net force on the object is zero. Friction is still present as long as the object is in motion.
ffrancis

Homework Statement

A horizontal force of 20 N is required to move an object with a mass of 8 kg along a horizontal floor with constant velocity. Find the coefficient of kinetic friction.

Homework Equations

f = uN
u = f/N

The Attempt at a Solution

u = 20 N/(8 kg X 9.8 m/s2)
u = 20 N/78.4 N
u = 0.255 or 0.26

Is my answer correct? I'm confused with the mention of constant velocity. I know that one of the components of force is acceleration. Does it mean that acceleration is zero; therefore, there is no friction because velocity is constant?

f = 0 X 78.4 N
f = 0 ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No kinetic friction is there as long as the object is moving it doesn't disappear just because it is moving at constant velocity. Constant velocity meant the net force on the object is 0 that is friction=force applied. Your answer looks fine

I think it just means that your net force is zero since box is moving at a constant velocity . Friction is related to the how rough two or more surfaces are when moving aganist each other. Their are 4 forces acting upon the object , two of which cancel each other out in the vertical direction; which leaves you with the frictional force and your applied force moving in the opposite direction; your solution looks correct to me;.

Thanks, noblegas and semc.

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another surface. This force is caused by the microscopic irregularities of the two surfaces rubbing against each other.

2. How does friction affect constant velocity?

Friction can decrease an object's constant velocity by slowing it down due to the opposing force it creates. This means that a constant external force is needed to maintain a constant velocity in the presence of friction.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction?

The amount of friction between two surfaces is affected by the types of materials, the roughness of the surfaces, and the amount of force pressing the surfaces together. The greater the force and roughness, the more friction will be produced.

4. How does friction differ from air resistance?

Friction is a force that occurs when two surfaces are in contact, while air resistance is a force that occurs when an object moves through air. Both forces oppose the motion of an object, but air resistance is affected by an object's speed and shape, while friction is affected by the surfaces in contact.

5. Can friction ever be beneficial?

Yes, friction can be beneficial in certain situations. For example, it allows us to walk without slipping, helps car tires grip the road, and allows us to write with a pen or pencil. In some cases, friction can also be harnessed to create useful tools and machines, such as brakes and pulleys.