Friction Hinge Design using spring pins

In summary, the conversation discusses making a foldable arm hinge and the use of spring split or coil pins to constrain radial movement. It also mentions concerns about the hinge being too tight and finding pins that can be adjusted for friction. The suggestion of using a bolt with a belleville washer is also discussed as a possible solution.
RKD89
Hi
As described in my previous post I am looking to make a foldable mechanism of an arm hinge.

I have changed my design into the one shown in attached image.

I plan to use spring split or coil pin to constrain radial movement in the hinge (yellow and red).
Adding a bolt through the hinge (spring pin) and securing with a nut will constrain axial movement as well.

Concerns:
The hinge should not be too tight. Over tightening may make operating it difficult and will wear the hinge (yellow and red parts) out, specially if they are made in aluminium.
Secondly, I am trying to find pins which can tighten or loose by tightening of the through bolts. This way I can edge the hinge friction according to my needs

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• b_hinge_assembly1.jpg
    b_hinge_assembly1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 525
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello again, have you considered simply using the bolt as the hinge pin. By including a small belleville washer on the bolt you can both provide a variable clamping friction and a method of tightening as well.

1. How does a friction hinge design using spring pins work?

A friction hinge design using spring pins works by using a combination of the friction force between two surfaces and the spring force of the pins. The pins are inserted into holes on the hinge, creating a pivot point for the hinge to rotate. The friction between the pins and the holes creates resistance, allowing the hinge to hold its position. The spring force of the pins also helps to keep the hinge in place and provides a smooth opening and closing motion.

2. What are the advantages of using a friction hinge design with spring pins?

One of the main advantages of using a friction hinge design with spring pins is its ability to hold its position without any external locking mechanisms. This makes it a more compact and streamlined design compared to traditional hinges. The use of spring pins also allows for a smooth and consistent opening and closing motion, making it ideal for applications that require precise positioning.

3. What materials are commonly used for friction hinge designs with spring pins?

The materials used for friction hinge designs with spring pins can vary depending on the application and required strength. However, some common materials used include steel, aluminum, and plastic. These materials are chosen for their durability, strength, and resistance to wear and tear.

4. How do you determine the appropriate size and number of spring pins for a friction hinge design?

The appropriate size and number of spring pins for a friction hinge design are determined based on factors such as the weight and dimensions of the hinge, the required load-bearing capacity, and the desired level of friction. It is important to carefully consider these factors and consult with a design engineer to ensure the hinge can perform effectively and safely.

5. What are some common applications for friction hinge designs with spring pins?

Friction hinge designs with spring pins are commonly used in various industries such as automotive, aerospace, and electronics. They are often found in applications where precise positioning and smooth motion are required, such as laptop screens, car visors, and adjustable furniture. They are also suitable for applications that require compact and lightweight designs.