Friction Hinge Design: Calculating Bolt Preload and Torque

In summary, the conversation discusses a friction hinge design problem and the use of equations to calculate fastener preload and wrench torque. The equations used included T = k * Fi * d and Fi = 0.75 * At * Sp, where T is wrench torque, Fi is preload, and d is the nominal bolt diameter, At is the bolt tensile area, and Sp is the proof strength of the bolt. It also mentions the definition of Sp and the calculation of preload using a yield strength of 340 MPa for Class 4.8 low/medium carbon steel bolts. There is also a discussion about the use of bolt tensile area and the calculation of nominal bolt diameter, which may have resulted in an incorrect value.
CarlLyon09
Hi,

I'm looking at a friction hinge design problem. See the image below for details. Looking through a machinist's handbook (pg. 1495), I get a few equations for fastener preload and wrench torque.

T = k * Fi * d, where T is wrench torque, Fi is preload, and d is the nominal bolt diameter, and k is a friction constant

Fi = 0.75 * At * Sp, where At is the bolt tensile area, and Sp is the proof strength of the bolt

By definition, Sp = 0.85*Sy, where Sy is the yield strength of the bolt.

To calculate preload, I used Sy = 340 MPa for Class 4.8 low/medium carbon steel bolts.

For At, I wasn't so sure what to use in this case. I assumed it was the area of the yellow looking washer.

Calculating preload, I ended up getting Fi = 14,300 N, which seems like a lot...

Fi = 0.75 * pi/4 * (0.01 m - .004 m)^2 * 0.85 * 340 x 10^6 Pa

Using that value, I calculated the nominal bolt diameter, d, using the first equation and got d = 0.06mm which doesn't seem to be right...

d = 300 N*mm / (0.35 * Fi)

I feel like the solution should be pretty simple... am I overcomplicating things?

34ta1pc.png

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Oh the wrench torque is given by the way.. T = 300 N*mm

Since you are only showing a limited section of the problem it is hard to judge the correct problem process. I have found that too often these partial views are missing critical information in the problem description.

With regard to the bolt tensile area used for the formula, the standard area for this calculation is based upon the minor diameter of the bolt thread; but, that does not appear to be a part of the problem description. To check your max torque calculation for the bolt google "standard bolt torques"; but, remember your calculated torques are going to be a bit higher than those given in the tables you will find because those tables are based on the bolt thread minor diameter area.

1. What is a friction hinge design problem?

A friction hinge design problem refers to a situation where the performance or functionality of a hinge is affected by friction, resulting in difficulties in opening and closing the hinge or in maintaining its position.

2. What are the common causes of friction hinge design problems?

Some common causes of friction hinge design problems include inadequate lubrication, misalignment of hinge components, and wear and tear due to repeated use.

3. How can friction hinge design problems be prevented?

To prevent friction hinge design problems, proper lubrication and regular maintenance of the hinge are essential. It is also important to ensure that the hinge components are properly aligned and that any wear and tear is addressed promptly.

4. What are some potential solutions for friction hinge design problems?

One potential solution for friction hinge design problems is to use a different type of hinge that is better suited for the specific application. Another solution could be to redesign the hinge to reduce friction, such as by using different materials or adding bearings.

5. How can a scientist help with a friction hinge design problem?

A scientist can help with a friction hinge design problem by conducting experiments and tests to identify the root cause of the problem and proposing potential solutions based on scientific principles. They can also provide expertise in materials and design to help create a more efficient and effective hinge.