Friction losses due to expansion vs losses due to contract

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
foo9008
Messages
676
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement


i was told that the losses during expansion are usually much higher than losses during contraction in pipe . is it true?why?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
foo9008 said:

Homework Statement


i was told that the losses during expansion are usually much higher than losses during contraction in pipe . is it true?why?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Friction of what on what?

Edit: having seen your next thread, I realize the pipe is not expanding or contracting. It only seems that way to a flow passing along it. (I thought this was about thermal expansion, or expansion under stress.)
And by friction, do you mean viscosity? Turbulence?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: foo9008
haruspex said:
Friction of what on what?

Edit: having seen your next thread, I realize the pipe is not expanding or contracting. It only seems that way to a flow passing along it. (I thought this was about thermal expansion, or expansion under stress.)
And by friction, do you mean viscosity? Turbulence?
friction loss in pipe due to sudden expansion and contraction