Friction losses due to expansion vs losses due to contract

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of friction loss in a pipe due to sudden expansion and contraction. The question is posed whether losses during expansion are higher than losses during contraction, and the person is seeking clarification on what type of friction is being referred to.
foo9008

Homework Statement

i was told that the losses during expansion are usually much higher than losses during contraction in pipe . is it true?why?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
foo9008 said:

Homework Statement

i was told that the losses during expansion are usually much higher than losses during contraction in pipe . is it true?why?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Friction of what on what?

Edit: having seen your next thread, I realize the pipe is not expanding or contracting. It only seems that way to a flow passing along it. (I thought this was about thermal expansion, or expansion under stress.)
And by friction, do you mean viscosity? Turbulence?

Likes foo9008
haruspex said:
Friction of what on what?

Edit: having seen your next thread, I realize the pipe is not expanding or contracting. It only seems that way to a flow passing along it. (I thought this was about thermal expansion, or expansion under stress.)
And by friction, do you mean viscosity? Turbulence?
friction loss in pipe due to sudden expansion and contraction

1. What is the difference between friction losses due to expansion and losses due to contraction?

Friction losses due to expansion occur when a fluid flows through a pipe or channel that increases in size, resulting in a decrease in fluid velocity and an increase in friction. On the other hand, losses due to contraction occur when a fluid flows through a pipe or channel that decreases in size, resulting in an increase in fluid velocity and a decrease in friction.

2. Which type of friction losses is more significant in fluid flow?

This depends on the specific system and conditions, but in general, friction losses due to expansion tend to be more significant than losses due to contraction. This is because the decrease in fluid velocity in expansion leads to a larger decrease in pressure, resulting in more energy loss.

3. How can friction losses due to expansion and contraction be minimized?

To minimize friction losses due to expansion, it is important to design the system with smooth and gradually increasing pipe or channel sizes. This will reduce the sudden changes in fluid velocity and decrease friction. For losses due to contraction, gradually decreasing pipe or channel sizes can also help reduce the impact of sudden changes in velocity.

4. What factors affect the magnitude of friction losses due to expansion and contraction?

The magnitude of friction losses due to expansion and contraction depends on the fluid properties (such as viscosity and density), the size and shape of the pipe or channel, and the flow rate. The Reynolds number, which is a dimensionless number representing the ratio of inertial forces to viscous forces, is also a key factor in determining the magnitude of friction losses.

5. Can friction losses due to expansion and contraction be completely eliminated?

No, friction losses cannot be completely eliminated in fluid flow. However, they can be minimized by optimizing the design and conditions of the system. Additionally, using smoother materials and regular maintenance can also help reduce friction losses.