Friction loss due to exit pipe to reservoir

• Thread starter foo9008
  • Start date

Homework Statement

we know that the formula of head loss is k(V^2) /2g , the k = 1 when the water is discharged from pipe to reservoir ...However , how if the water from pipe is released into atmosphere ? is it necessary to include the head loss due to exit ? if so , is the k still =1 ? in the example , the author take k=1 when water is released to atmosphere from pipe , is he correct ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

Answers and Replies

Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?
No, can you try to answer and reply?

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
No, can you try to answer and reply?
Greg's post is automated. It just bumps your thread back up to somewhere it is more likely to get noticed. He will not have seen your reply.
I see no reason why k should be anything but 1 here. k not equal to 1 represents losses caused by messy flows at the junction. On egress to a wide reservoir or to atmosphere, there is no reason to suppose any eddy currents.

Greg's post is automated. It just bumps your thread back up to somewhere it is more likely to get noticed. He will not have seen your reply.
I see no reason why k should be anything but 1 here. k not equal to 1 represents losses caused by messy flows at the junction. On egress to a wide reservoir or to atmosphere, there is no reason to suppose any eddy currents.
Is the head loss due to water discahrged from pipe to reservoir same as head loss due to water discharged from pipe to atmosphere? The k is 1????

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
Is the head loss due to water discahrged from pipe to reservoir same as head loss due to water discharged from pipe to atmosphere? The k is 1????
I thought I just answered that. What in my answer did you not understand?

I thought I just answered that. What in my answer did you not understand?
I am not native emglish speaker.... Just to be sure, the k is. 1 when water discharged from pipe to atmosphere??

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
I am not native emglish speaker.... Just to be sure, the k is. 1 when water discharged from pipe to atmosphere??
Yes.

Likes foo9008