1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction loss due to exit pipe to reservoir

1. May 2, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    we know that the formula of head loss is k(V^2) /2g , the k = 1 when the water is discharged from pipe to reservoir ...However , how if the water from pipe is released into atmosphere ? is it necessary to include the head loss due to exit ? if so , is the k still =1 ? in the example , the author take k=1 when water is released to atmosphere from pipe , is he correct ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

• 170.PNG
      170.PNG
      File size:
      23.8 KB
      Views:
    • 171.PNG
      171.PNG
      File size:
      24.7 KB
      Views:
    • 172.PNG
      172.PNG
      File size:
      21.5 KB
      Views:
    • 173.PNG
      173.PNG
      File size:
      44.6 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. May 7, 2016 #3
    No, can you try to answer and reply?

5. May 7, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Greg's post is automated. It just bumps your thread back up to somewhere it is more likely to get noticed. He will not have seen your reply.
    I see no reason why k should be anything but 1 here. k not equal to 1 represents losses caused by messy flows at the junction. On egress to a wide reservoir or to atmosphere, there is no reason to suppose any eddy currents.

6. May 7, 2016 #5
    Is the head loss due to water discahrged from pipe to reservoir same as head loss due to water discharged from pipe to atmosphere? The k is 1????

7. May 7, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I thought I just answered that. What in my answer did you not understand?

8. May 7, 2016 #7
    I am not native emglish speaker.... Just to be sure, the k is. 1 when water discharged from pipe to atmosphere??

9. May 7, 2016 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted