1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Loss due to contraction vs loss due to expansion

1. Mar 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    why the formula of fricitional pipe loss due to contraction is given by formula : kc(V^2)/2g ?
    why the formula of fricitional pipe loss due to contraction cant be formula : (Va^2)-(Vb^2)/2g ? ,where Va= velocity at inlet , Vb = velocity at outlet ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    in this link , i was told that the pressure varies in an unknown and unpredictable way. but , for pipe loss due to expansion , the formula is
    (Va^2)-(Vb^2)/2g ? ,where Va= velocity at inlet , Vb = velocity at outlet ?this make me confused... isn't the pressure also varies in an unknown and unpredictable way in enlarged pipe ?
    https://www.quora.com/Why-is-the-formula-for-the-loss-of-head-in-a-sudden-contraction-of-a-pipe-presented-in-terms-of-velocity-head-in-the-smaller-pipe [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Note: Quora is not a scientific source.
    How would you go about modelling the pipe diameter change effect on pressure?

4. Mar 28, 2016 #3
    When the diamter small, velocity high, pressure low

5. Apr 12, 2016 #4
    I was told that the friction loss due to expansion is bigger than the friction loss due to contraction because of flow separation , is it true ? why ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted