Friction of a car going in circles

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Smifsret
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A car that weighs 900 kilograms is driving around a racetrack, the radius of the racetrack is 100 meters. Thecar has a constant speed of 110 km/h. The friction coefficient between the tires and the track is 0.980.

Decide:

a) The car's acceleration
b) The size of the friction

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



I got a to 9.34 m/s2 which I believe is correct. I'm having a much harder time with b which I get to 8,65 kN which I know is incorrect.Please help! Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I tried the Latex thing but I couldn't figure it out so i'll just write normally.

For the acceleration I used a = v2 / r = 30.52 / 100 = 9,34.

The second one is the one I'm sure must be wrong but I don't know what else to try. I'm using the equation for kinetic friction fk=[tex]\mu[/tex]k*n which should be simply 0.98*900*9.80 =8652.42 = 8.65 kN but that isn't the answer.