1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction problem on cube of mass

1. Nov 15, 2005 #1
    a very small cube of mass m is placed on the inside wall of a funnel. The wall of the funnel makes an angle theta with the vertical axis of rotation (dotted line). The center of the cube is a distance r from the axis of rotation. the cube is held by static friciton. The funnel is then rotated about a vertical axis at an angular speed of w (omega). it is found that the angular speed can be increased to a maximum value w(max) (omega max) at which point the cube is no longer held by the static frictional force and it flies out of the funnel. calculate w(max)
    i separated everything into x and y components, but i think i did this wrong
    i got equations
    Fstatic - Fg cos theta = mw(max)^2r
    Fn - Fg sin theta = ma
    am i suppose to set a to zero? and are those even right to begin with
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

It helps to make a drawing with the forces an angles on it.

Attached Files:

4. Nov 16, 2005 #3
    okay, this is what i got so far, i dont know if its right. correct me if i had a mistake

taking xaxis is // to side of funnel, and yais is perpendicular to side of funnel, i drew fbd and the forces i got are
    x components : Fs, - mg cos theta
    y components : Fn, - mg sin theta

so i hvae two equations:
    Fs - mg cos theta = mw^2r (1)
    Fn - mg sin theta = ma
    Fn - mg sin theta = 0
    Fn = mg sin theta
    since mew (u) = Fs/Fn
    Fs = u Fn
    Fs = u mg sin theta
    subbign that into equation (1)
    u mg sin theta - mg cos theta = mw^2r
    masses cancel
    u g sin theta - g cos theta = w^2r
    isolating for w:
    w = sqrt [g((u sin theta + cos theta)/r)]

is that right?
  5. Nov 17, 2005 #4

Homework Helper

I dont think so. Your Fs should be negative, but even more serious is that the centripetal acceleration of the cube is horizontal, pointing inwards towards the vertical axis.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?