Friction problem on cube of mass

In summary: You need to use the horizontal components of the forces in your equations.In summary, a small cube with mass m is placed on the inside wall of a funnel at a distance r from the vertical axis of rotation. It is held by static friction and the funnel is rotated at an angular speed of w. As the angular speed increases, it reaches a maximum value of w(max) at which the cube is no longer held by the static frictional force and it flies out of the funnel. To calculate w(max), the x and y components of the forces are taken into consideration, with the x-axis parallel to the side of the funnel and the y-axis perpendicular to the side of the funnel. By setting the centripetal acceleration to zero and
braindead101
a very small cube of mass m is placed on the inside wall of a funnel. The wall of the funnel makes an angle theta with the vertical axis of rotation (dotted line). The center of the cube is a distance r from the axis of rotation. the cube is held by static friciton. The funnel is then rotated about a vertical axis at an angular speed of w (omega). it is found that the angular speed can be increased to a maximum value w(max) (omega max) at which point the cube is no longer held by the static frictional force and it flies out of the funnel. calculate w(max)
image_zMj40.jpg

i separated everything into x and y components, but i think i did this wrong
i got equations
Fstatic - Fg cos theta = mw(max)^2r
Fn - Fg sin theta = ma
am i suppose to set a to zero? and are those even right to begin with

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It helps to make a drawing with the forces an angles on it.

Attachments

• rotating funnel.jpg
    rotating funnel.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 454
okay, this is what i got so far, i don't know if its right. correct me if i had a mistake

taking xaxis is // to side of funnel, and yais is perpendicular to side of funnel, i drew fbd and the forces i got are
x components : Fs, - mg cos theta
y components : Fn, - mg sin theta

so i hvae two equations:
Fs - mg cos theta = mw^2r (1)
Fn - mg sin theta = ma
Fn - mg sin theta = 0
Fn = mg sin theta
since mew (u) = Fs/Fn
Fs = u Fn
Fs = u mg sin theta
subbign that into equation (1)
u mg sin theta - mg cos theta = mw^2r
masses cancel
u g sin theta - g cos theta = w^2r
isolating for w:
w = sqrt [g((u sin theta + cos theta)/r)]

is that right?

I don't think so. Your Fs should be negative, but even more serious is that the centripetal acceleration of the cube is horizontal, pointing inwards towards the vertical axis.

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another object or surface.

2. How does friction affect the movement of a cube of mass?

Friction can slow down the movement of a cube of mass by creating resistance against its motion. The amount of friction depends on the surface area of the cube, the force applied, and the roughness of the surface it is moving on.

3. How can friction be reduced on a cube of mass?

Friction can be reduced by using a lubricant, such as oil or grease, which creates a slippery layer between the two surfaces in contact. Another way to reduce friction is by using smoother surfaces or reducing the weight or force applied to the cube.

4. What are the different types of friction?

The three main types of friction are static friction, which occurs when an object is at rest, kinetic friction, which occurs when an object is in motion, and rolling friction, which occurs when an object rolls over a surface.

5. How is friction measured on a cube of mass?

Friction is measured using a device called a dynamometer, which measures the force required to overcome the friction between two surfaces. The unit of measurement for friction is Newtons (N).